High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 461 hot start

Chainsawpastor

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm sure there's other posts on this, but my Google Fu failed me. Saw is maybe 6 months old. Stock. Ran great through about 4 tanks so far. 80* today, bucking a huge elm, shut it off to touch up the chain, no restart. Or rather, start/die, etc like it's out of fuel. Not out of fuel and while it didn't"geyser" there's lots of pressure in the tank and there's lots of bubbles in the tank... looks like boiling. So I got tired of pulling on it and came to the house. Any suggestions? Thanks, sorry if it's beat to death.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep your chain razor sharp, open the muffler a tad and let it breath.

I’ve not heard it being a common issue with a 461. Nor have had any issues with mine.

Chainsawpastor

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I plan on putting a dp cover on it eventually. I was under the impression that these saws had a fuel geysering/vapor lock issue and that's why they were recalled. Mine should be post recall but still... stuff happens. What were the fixes for those that had the issues?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had a hot start issue with my 461. The recall was on a leaking fuel line issue (or at least that's what they said on mine). Now comes the typical questions/suggestions. Was the fuel fresh? Did you idle it any before shutting down?

Chainsawpastor

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes on the fresh fuel. Probably didn't idle it before shutdown as I recall. Was cutting and then shut off to talk. I'll try it again this evening and see if she fires.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. I plan on putting a dp cover on it eventually. I was under the impression that these saws had a fuel geysering/vapor lock issue and that's why they were recalled. Mine should be post recall but still... stuff happens. What were the fixes for those that had the issues?
the recall was leaking fuel at the hose and carb nipple and the reason why there was a lack of the hd50 for a while

Chainsawpastor

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tried it later this evening, fired right up and ran fine. Gonna have to see if this was a one time thing or something I'm gonna have to fight.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By chance did you accidentally shut it off with the choke?

Chainsawpastor

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Haha, nope. That would cause some issues though wouldn't it. Lol. I don't cut.much when it's hot but I'm going to see if I can make it do it again or just make sure it's cooled down before shutdown and refuel.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure there's other posts on this, but my Google Fu failed me. Saw is maybe 6 months old. Stock. Ran great through about 4 tanks so far. 80* today, bucking a huge elm, shut it off to touch up the chain, no restart. Or rather, start/die, etc like it's out of fuel. Not out of fuel and while it didn't"geyser" there's lots of pressure in the tank and there's lots of bubbles in the tank... looks like boiling. So I got tired of pulling on it and came to the house. Any suggestions? Thanks, sorry if it's beat to death.
Sounds like winter gas on a hot day! When it gets hot it vapor locks! Are you using pump gas? https://www.popularmechanics.com/ca...blend-gasoline-whats-the-difference-13747431/

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They come with a factory muffler that choke the engine... Mine isn't tune good when new out of the box. You might need to check if the carb is tune right too.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Chainsawpastor

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I actually bought some can gas to try and see if it makes a difference. I thought it was pretty fresh but I bet it's older than I think and almost certainly "winter" since winter only ended here yesterday...

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep your 2 cycle mix fuel no more then 60 days max. I prefer keeping it only 30days. Funny things happen to mixed gas that sits in a gas can. Especially so if its winter fuel being used in the summer