High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 461 - best muffler mod?

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I was looking for one (just a dual port cover) for a MS461. Are the covers the same for the 460 / 660 but the whole muffler assemblies are different between the 460 / 660?

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to beat the shyte out of this, but do you see a down side to one of these? That way I keep the OEM muffler parts, which seem to hold the paint better than some of the aftermarket muffler covers I have read reviews on...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-DUAL-PORT-MUFFLER-KIT-FITS-STIHL-044-MS440-046-MS460-064-066-MS660-DR9A/231824133794?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I had one of them on my 461, them little screws got loose in a few tanks, ended up loosing two of them, other two were so loose that the deflector was ready to fall off. I got new screws slightly larger used red loctite to hold them in, they still loosened up and lost a few of them. Tried pop rivets next, that lasted about 10 tanks, and they rattled loose. I would not spend the money on one of them again. But that is just me, YMMV...

@Red97 makes a nice deflector, get a hold of him if you want to add a deflector to the side, buy a few t-27 torx screws in m5 or m6, and a couple of all metal locking nuts, put them on with red loctite, shouldn't have a problem with them getting loose.

I have one of these aftermarket DP covers, after 3 years of firewood use, it still looks as good as the day I put it on,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAI...391318?hash=item51ff2b7dd6:g:unIAAOxyNo9Sp5cN

Worst case, if the paint does not hold up, you can always repaint it. DP cover $12.95 vs $10.95 for the deflector, I would not waste the time jacking around with that deflector. Just bolt a DP cover on, retune, cut wood.

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I had one of them on my 461, them little screws got loose in a few tanks, ended up loosing two of them, other two were so loose that the deflector was ready to fall off. I got new screws slightly larger used red loctite to hold them in, they still loosened up and lost a few of them. Tried pop rivets next, that lasted about 10 tanks, and they rattled loose. I would not spend the money on one of them again. But that is just me, YMMV...

@Red97 makes a nice deflector, get a hold of him if you want to add a deflector to the side, buy a few t-27 torx screws in m5 or m6, and a couple of all metal locking nuts, put them on with red loctite, shouldn't have a problem with them getting loose.

I have one of these aftermarket DP covers, after 3 years of firewood use, it still looks as good as the day I put it on,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAI...391318?hash=item51ff2b7dd6:g:unIAAOxyNo9Sp5cN

Worst case, if the paint does not hold up, you can always repaint it. DP cover $12.95 vs $10.95 for the deflector, I would not waste the time jacking around with that deflector. Just bolt a DP cover on, retune, cut wood.

Great. Thanks for the info on the DP cover. Always good to hear feedback from a user. Just ordered it and will have it shipped to an address in Sumas, WA, to keep things simple. Appreciate it.

Last edited: