High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 461 - best muffler mod?

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
hey gang. just wondering what you guys have done for muffler mods on the Stihl 461? some of the threads I have read here and watched on youtube don’t seem that muffler mods are that beneficial. is it really a worthwhile endeavour. thoughts? thanks.

Last edited:

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If the saw is not operated in an area / time of the year when fires can be an issue, can the spark arrestor be removed and if so, does it help at all? (Long story, but where I live no gas engines such as saws, weed eaters, lawn mowers area allowed when the fire hazard starts to get high).

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
12:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the saw is not operated in an area / time of the year when fires can be an issue, can the spark arrestor be removed and if so, does it help at all? (Long story, but where I live no gas engines such as saws, weed eaters, lawn mowers area allowed when the fire hazard starts to get high).

If you take it on any Fed or state lands on West Coast, a spark arrestor is required

Erik

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don’t it just stays here on the island where I live (BC, Canada).

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It may pick up a fraction of speed without them ,but it will be louder without the screens ,carbon chunks can fly out and make a fire also if dry out.if you want more flow than double port a husky 288 deflector fits on the lh side real nice to do a 3rd portKIMG2811.JPG KIMG2810.JPG

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry for the nube questions, but what is your guess on why the 046 parts from previous models are better, performance wise, than what they are putting on the new 461? Is it because of emissions regulations or simply cost savings? And what does a port job usually run (ballpark). Thanks.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry for the nube questions, but what is your guess on why the 046 parts from previous models are better, performance wise, than what they are putting on the new 461? Is it because of emissions regulations or simply cost savings? And what does a port job usually run (ballpark). Thanks.
If you ask a lot of saw shops for a 461 dual port cover it may not be in their system ,but the 046 will be ,just saves confusion for if the parts guy does not know a lot about saws and depends on his computer to get part #s for fit.same thing with a 660 ask for a 064 or 066 cover.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
12:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The older coil is unlimited, the 461 has a rev limiter. It's easier to tune a saw without a rev limiter for me. Shouldn't have to worry about tuning over the rev limiter unless it's ported usually. Port jobs range in price, I'd say 200-350