Stihl 361 value?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran across an ad on CL for a Stihl 361. I had one a while back that was "borrowed" out of my truck while hunting. I always wanted another and never got around to it. The guy works near me and is willing to bring it in the morning for me to look at. I told him I wanted to at least do a comp test and pull the muffler to see what the piston looks like. If everything checks out ok, what would be a fair price for this saw? He posted $400, said over the phone $350. That is with a new looking 20" bar and 2 loops of chain. Not sure what they are going for. I miss having a saw that size and would like to get another one.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it checks out ok, I think $350 is a fair price for one in decent shape. Condition is everything. Mint can go for $500+.

I found the one you are looking at. If the P&C check out, it is worth $350 IMO. Not a steal but a fair price. You better hurry up before someone steals your scrounge. That 361 is in nice shape, plus a like new bar. I have seen clapped out 361s for that much.

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks good in pics, but so did the 036 super I went to look at the other day! Runs excellent is what the add said, pulled the muffler, holy score marks!!! I shined a light in there and showed the owner. He told me those were normal. I told him I would pass on it. I like that 60cc size saw. Strong, but not too heavy. My 440 gets to me on those all day cutting jobs. I mostly cut firewood on the side or for other people. Our church is starting a firewood ministry in our area and I may need another saw.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
350 would be a fair price if everything is good i love the 361 and have a few of them

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had to sell all my chainsaws and keep only one, my Stihl MS361 would remain. Heaven forbid that all but one would have to go.

That's the best feedback I can give you for a 361's value.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I had one in the past that was stolen out of my truck. They are great saws, I just didn't know what they were going for. I may have to take some cash with me and see what I can get it for. Hopefully everything checks out. That extra cash was probably going to Randy to get my 440 ported......decisions, decisions! Maybe I can talk my wife into getting my saw ported as a Christmas gift!

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Runs excellent is what the add said, pulled the muffler, holy score marks!!! I shined a light in there and showed the owner. He told me those were normal.

I hate buying or selling anything second hand. Every now and then you can get an incredible bargain, but then there are the times you run into the flotsam of life that just want to rip you off. I once had a dirtbike I was selling for an advertised firm price of $300. A bloke showed up, knew it was a great deal (I was getting out of racing, it came with an extra engine and tires to go with it). After making a few comments about dings in the pipe and other trash talk, he offered me $250.

I then replied, well make it $350. He flipped out, stormed off in a rage. - The next guy that showed up couldn't pull the $300 out of his pocket fast enough.

There should be a law that everyone is allowed to kill one person a month without penalty - it wouldn't take long to thin the herd.

zeebee413

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i bought one at the pawn shop with a 16" Oregon bar and chain for 260.00.... looked crappy till I cleaned it up.... piston and cylinder were great... I bought one brand new when they first came out and it still looks new... I wouldn't part with it now .... bottom line, in my opinion... 300-400 is a good guide depending on how well YOU like the saw...

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked the saw over yesterday. First thing I did was pulled muffler, low and behold it was purty! Compression was good, saw was clean, gas smelled 3-4 years old!!! I dumped it and put some fresh mix in it and she hit on the 5-6 pull. I am the owner of another 361. Talked him down to $325 since I may have to put fuel lines on it.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked the saw over yesterday. First thing I did was pulled muffler, low and behold it was purty! Compression was good, saw was clean, gas smelled 3-4 years old!!! I dumped it and put some fresh mix in it and she hit on the 5-6 pull. I am the owner of another 361. Talked him down to $325 since I may have to put fuel lines on it.

The Phantom 361. You know the rules.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Phantom 361. You know the rules.

As soon as I get back from hunting, and get a new phone! Camera crapped out on me yesterday. Shouldn't have took a picture if that ugly woman!

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just sold a 361 for &400, I also have a 360, but after aquireing a 440 mag with a 20" bar I would never pick up a 360-361 again. The balence and extra power far outweigh the little extra weight.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just sold a 361 for &400, I also have a 360, but after aquireing a 440 mag with a 20" bar I would never pick up a 360-361 again. The balence and extra power far outweigh the little extra weight.

Try putting a 16" bar on your 360. You just might change your mind. I keep a 20" bar on my 460, which is a little heavier than a 440 certainly, and i do grab that setup often, but the 16" full chisel on the 036 with a laminated bar in a fun and light setup. :)

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why don't you just go get the one back that was borrowed from your truck?

Well, you see, I live in East TN, the pill head capital of the world. The saw was "borrowed" by my sister while I was at my dad's property deer hunting. I had it to clear the woods roads we had made in there later that day. She admitted to taking it (I had her on game camera coming through the gate), but just needed to borrow it. Never was returned, my mom gave me $500 to cover it and not file charges. Six months later I find her in my house, attempting to steal more stuff, and that is where her criminal history started. As a matter of fact, I recently arrested her on my WMA because she had outstanding warrants and didn't know I switched locations. Lessons learned: keep your saws locked in the tool box, don't rent a place where dope heads have lived before with out changing locks (owner said they did, but she had a key), the judge finds it strange when you haul your own sister to jail, and your mom will never forgive you for arresting your sister, even if she is a POS!

Rant over, sorry.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, you see, I live in East TN, the pill head capital of the world. The saw was "borrowed" by my sister while I was at my dad's property deer hunting. I had it to clear the woods roads we had made in there later that day. She admitted to taking it (I had her on game camera coming through the gate), but just needed to borrow it. Never was returned, my mom gave me $500 to cover it and not file charges. Six months later I find her in my house, attempting to steal more stuff, and that is where her criminal history started. As a matter of fact, I recently arrested her on my WMA because she had outstanding warrants and didn't know I switched locations. Lessons learned: keep your saws locked in the tool box, don't rent a place where dope heads have lived before with out changing locks (owner said they did, but she had a key), the judge finds it strange when you haul your own sister to jail, and your mom will never forgive you for arresting your sister, even if she is a POS!

Rant over, sorry.

WOW....the plight to get more drugs makes people do crazy s-word.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try putting a 16" bar on your 360. You just might change your mind. I keep a 20" bar on my 460, which is a little heavier than a 440 certainly, and i do grab that setup often, but the 16" full chisel on the 036 with a laminated bar in a fun and light setup. :)
Mostly because I have 4 346 huskys that are far lighter & much more fun if I only need a 16" bar.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, you see, I live in East TN, the pill head capital of the world.... Lessons learned: keep your saws locked in the tool box, don't rent a place where dope heads have lived before with out changing locks (owner said they did, but she had a key), the judge finds it strange when you haul your own sister to jail,....

Gee whiz brotha, sorry I picked on ya. I was only joking. You can haul my sisters ass to jail also if you'd like but you'll have to make two trips.