Stihl 241c stalls while idling

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No argument from me on that. There should be a quick way for the owner to manually re-set it.

I'm just going to make sure it does not happen to me again, it takes more than the 1st hiccup to make it happen. I have also cautioned some of my tree guys that have 661s, and they "thanked me" and have not had any issues.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grass isn't always greener on the other side of the road.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, the newer tech is nice, I like it, but it is more susceptible to problems, so I understand what they are doing. It is the same reason every time I rehabilitate a 460, a buyer want's it.

And who am I to disagree, I don't work on M Tron saws!

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, the newer tech is nice, I like it, but it is more susceptible to problems, so I understand what they are doing. It is the same reason every time I rehabilitate a 460, a buyer want's it.

And who am I to disagree, I don't work on M Tron saws!

Other than our 3120 that doesn't get used much and the remaining 461s and carby stihl saws going forward its gonna be echo for him...no more computer stihls and hushees until this computer stuff is 100% dead nuts.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Time will tell Ryan.

It already told the tale with guys were friends with doing the same thing and having a fraction of the problems we have..a cheaper more reliable tool is what it comes down to, they may cut a second or 2 slower here and there but that doesn't matter.

They all smash the same..

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe the guys you work with are really tough on equipment? Just sayin. Don't speculate.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe the guys you work with are really tough on equipment? Just sayin. Don't speculate.

That has nothing to do with why an m-tronic saw wont idle or run right after very little use, it's not a reliable product..its that simple.

We are hard on them, it's the nature of the job.

The older stihls handled it..these new ones dont.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There still 440s/460s/660s out there with some serious time on them chugging along with no work done to them

You think you'll see a newer m-tronic out there doing the same thing..doubtful..and if so it's the exception and not the rule.

The saws that are mine I'll keep and continue to cut with them..but if it was my business there's no way I'd bank on the AT/MT saws either with what I've seen the past few years.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have Amish guys running 460 and 660. The Amish dealer will buy used ones any condition same with 200t and 131's

Yessir..I even tried to talk him into the standard carb 261 or 362 that we would have to order and he said no go, I think hes just disgusted at this point..if I was paying the bills I probably would be too..

I wish we had a good makita/dolmar dealer.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guys their is nothing wrong with mtronic saws... for me over the life of a saw I'll save alot of time not having to tune a saw with the 50° temp changes we can get... that time saved will easily offset a sylinoid change every what 5 years... I'm actually on the other end I want to only run mtronic/autotune saws... they really shine in the winter months when it can go from 20° to 80 in a day. Mtronic>screw driver lol

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guys their is nothing wrong with mtronic saws... for me over the life of a saw I'll save alot of time not having to tune a saw with the 50° temp changes we can get... that time saved will easily offset a sylinoid change every what 5 years... I'm actually on the other end I want to only run mtronic/autotune saws... they really shine in the winter months when it can go from 20° to 80 in a day. Mtronic>screw driver lol

Nothing wrong with the ones that run right..

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For my own personal use I will pick M Tronic for the reasons you mentioned, but if I were running a business, especially one with some turn over of employees now and then, I think I would have to agree with Ryan 100% and get the standard carb versions.

Echo may not win the power to weight ratio thing, but their low cost and reliability are proven.

I love my 261, but getting it to run right again after the M Tron F - ed Up was a PITA.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For my own personal use I will pick M Tronic for the reasons you mentioned, but if I were running a business, especially one with some turn over of employees now and then, I think I would have to agree with Ryan 100% and get the standard carb versions.

Echo may not win the power to weight ratio thing, but their low cost and reliability are proven.

I love my 261, but getting it to run right again after the M Tron F - ed Up was a PITA.

I'm not giving up my personal saws either...but no way in hell I'd send em off with a crew of guys and expect no issues.

Never heard of these issues with the older saws..and I was a huge fan of these new ones at first ..