Stihl 241c stalls while idling

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ohhh interesting. I dropped it off at my local dealer and they said this did *not* sound like a common issue. They seemed clueless.

They're backed up 2 weeks on warranty work but I'll report back once I hear. I am fully anticipating "could not reproduce" or some such dismissive answer. :-/

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Say there backed up on warranty work for two weeks? This sounds like a pile of manure.If your saw is under warranty you should go to the front of the line.Sorry but this dealer is taking you for a ride.Next he will tell you that the saw needs a part and will have to wait for three weeks. I really hope that I am wrong and he repairs it.Are there any other Stihl dealers in your area? I will cut him some slack but how many qualified people are working for him? In my area of Waynesville Missouri I needed a set of clutch spring for my 025. I was told that they would be here in about ten days.Well two weeks went by and still no clutch springs. I went to another dealer and had them within a week. Sorry to rant but I feel as if they are not fulfilling their obligation as a quality dealer. If they can't repair it demand a full refund.Find a Echo dealer. I quit buying new saws from Stihl, and Husqvarna dealers. My Echo 550P is a great saw for a lot less monies.Ken

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See my post in "best 28" power head". I think you have a rich condition, likely from the saw running low on fuel, and it will eventually resolve itself. (but it takes time, and don't run it low on fuel).

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Say there backed up on warranty work for two weeks? This sounds like a pile of manure.
I was skeptical at first, but we did have a nasty storm come through a month ago that created several small tornadoes that completely fcuked the area. He said the backup happened from that.

The wait bothered me less than the "hmmm, this isn't common" response. :-/

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did he give you a loaner saw?

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. But I also didn't buy it from him. I bought it 10 hours away in a different state while visiting family.

I don't get the impression he would have anyway though.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If he gave out loaner saws he would work harder to get those saws fixed.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to stick like epoxy to my previous statement.Either you have a lot of uneducated individuals using saws oe Stihl's quality has taken a nosedive. Sir when I lived in upstate NY we had a really bad storm. Yes trees were own and people were into our shop, but with mostly repaired starter rops,sharpening chains and a couple of carburetor adjustments. yes we had a few that had oiling issues, chain brake bands snapped. These were mostly normal maintenance items completed by a dealer. I spent two days sharpening chains.Anyway I think your dealer needs more qualified help.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree 100 percent! [emoji106]

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to stick like epoxy to my previous statement.Either you have a lot of uneducated individuals using saws oe Stihl's quality has taken a nosedive. Sir when I lived in upstate NY we had a really bad storm. Yes trees were own and people were into our shop, but with mostly repaired starter rops,sharpening chains and a couple of carburetor adjustments. yes we had a few that had oiling issues, chain brake bands snapped. These were mostly normal maintenance items completed by a dealer. I spent two days sharpening chains.Anyway I think your dealer needs more qualified help.
I dunno. I'm not going to disagree with anything you wrote. I just didn't see much I could do about it other than go to another dealer, which I wasn't excited about doing at that point because it was in the opposite direction. I made the call to just leave it. We'll see if they end up wasting my time.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rumatt, Honestly I hope that I am 100% wrong. It would be great to hear that you have a good Stihl dealer in your area. From your past post however, it smelled a bit fishy to me.If you may have spoken to the owner of just an employee that was unsure of the workload.Yes they may have a lot of work to complete.How much of it was warranty and how much was simply saws coming in off the street.I really hope that they take good care of you and your saw.Good quality service is difficult to locate. On the other hand, they may know that they will not get payed or the parts and labor for a lengthy period of time, so it may sit on the bench for a while.Anyway be polite and if you call them ask who you're talking with and get time and date of the conversation. Best of luck, Ken

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing yet.. I'm giving them until Friday, then calling.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 261, which had the "rich" problem after someone tried to run it low on fuel, is now back to 100%. No re set, etc., just took about 7-8 tanks of fuel.

And I am now very careful not to let it run out.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it was, maddening in fact. I guess they programmed it to protect the saw (from an air leak) far faster than the computer learns to "return to normal".

I'm just glad that it is back, because it is a fantastic saw when it runs right.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, I lack patients, but I am very determined!

"Often the difference between success and failure is persistence"!!!