High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 201TC Mtronic Clairification

birdyman88

Active OPE Member
Local time
12:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Background: I have a 201TC in my hands that I am considering buying from an acquaintance of mine in the tree work world. He said that it runs good but sometimes dies when throttling up or when hanging vertically like on a climbing saddle. I confirmed all these behaviors when he gave me the saw. I initially thought it may be the known issue with the fuel solenoid so I wanted to take it and look into it before I purchased. I own 3 other mtronics, 2x V2, and 1x V3.

So here's where I'm confused. This saw has the BLACK solenoid and a "4700F" model coil. There's some info out here on OPE that indicates this is a V2 mtronic setup. However the Stihl 201TC manual gives the calibration procedure for a V3. I have tried the V3 calibration procedure (30-60 sec fast idle, 30-60 sec with rpm stepping automatically) and this procedure does not work - the rpms do not step at all. I called Stihl for clarification, and Stihl's own technical rep said that the 201TC has only ever come with 1 mtronic version, and that is V3. I don't know that I buy that, as I thought the original issues on the 201TC were from using the older BLACK V2 solenoid.

Can anyone shed any light on this? My search did not give me anything concrete for the 201TC. Thanks in advance.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cannot answer your questions about versions. I can say my friends 201t had the same coil, solenoid, and symptoms and a new solenoid fixed the issues. Attached is an M-Tronic troubleshooting chart should you like to diagnose rather than throw parts at it...

Attachments

• M-Tronic troubleshooting chart.pdf
    547.5 KB · Views: 86

birdyman88

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rob, thanks for the troubleshooting info. Did your friend replace the black solenoid with the newer white one? or with another black one?

Last edited:

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly, I am not certain. I will ask him. He brought it by for troubleshooting. I didn't have the chart yet, but everything I had read lead me to believe that was the issue. He picked it up and replaced it on his own.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Background: I have a 201TC in my hands that I am considering buying from an acquaintance of mine in the tree work world. He said that it runs good but sometimes dies when throttling up or when hanging vertically like on a climbing saddle. I confirmed all these behaviors when he gave me the saw. I initially thought it may be the known issue with the fuel solenoid so I wanted to take it and look into it before I purchased. I own 3 other mtronics, 2x V2, and 1x V3.

So here's where I'm confused. This saw has the BLACK solenoid and a "4700F" model coil. There's some info out here on OPE that indicates this is a V2 mtronic setup. However the Stihl 201TC manual gives the calibration procedure for a V3. I have tried the V3 calibration procedure (30-60 sec fast idle, 30-60 sec with rpm stepping automatically) and this procedure does not work - the rpms do not step at all. I called Stihl for clarification, and Stihl's own technical rep said that the 201TC has only ever come with 1 mtronic version, and that is V3. I don't know that I buy that, as I thought the original issues on the 201TC were from using the older BLACK V2 solenoid.

Can anyone shed any light on this? My search did not give me anything concrete for the 201TC. Thanks in advance.

201tcm coming as v2

the 2019 facelifted model that just hit the European market, we are expecting it here in few months is the v3 version and has a factory pop up piston

Your saw is v2 for sure that's 90sec idle reset.

PS don't tell Stihl technicians there is a facelifted 201 coming they will end up in Psychiatric clinic...

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Take a close look at the intake manifold too. Just to eliminate it as a possible failure point. Top handles are.known for bending up and tearing the manifolds . And if you can get a white solenoid off another CM saw. Toss it on and see what happens.

birdyman88

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Okay, so I took off carb and cleaned it out, but left solenoid intact. Not sure where they came from but I got some particles out. I did the 90 sec reset, then cut some small biscuits. Problem seemed reduced as it will hang vertical now. But, does seem rich based on amount of smoke at idle and slowish throttle up. Runs fine in cut. Saw is bone stock though. I will do a more thorough clean, pull solenoid clean, seal tip, and maybe test the white solenoid from my 362. Afterward probably give it a MM and advance timing. It looks like its mine now.

birdyman88

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had a chance to really get into it today. I took carb apart and soaked everything with PB Blaster for 30 minutes then flushed it all out with carb cleaner, I did the black solenoid as well. I really couldn't come up with a reliable method to seal off the tip portion of solenoid, so I pressed the tip down on my bench and rotated it back and forth until the tip expanded ever so slightly. I was only shooting for about .006" expansion to provide a tighter fit down in the bottom of the hole. Solenoid o-ring still good. Checked manifold boot and it was fine - pristine in fact. Put it all back together, reset it, then cut a bunch of cookies. Runs fine. The smoking at idle is somewhat reduced. I still get a little sluggish response on throttle after idling, but it throttles up just fine after a cut. I'm assuming that's normal.

birdyman88

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
FYI, I worked on the solenoid some. After I removed, I ran my fingernail along the ridge near the tip and bent the ridge back out to where it should re-collapse when inserted. I also ordered 10 M0.8x5 n-but o-rings from orings.com. They had to stretch some getting on, but they worked perfect. After I reassembled, I noticed a marked improvement in throttle response and idling. In the cut was about the same.