Stihl 201T Mtronic carb swap

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible to unplug the Mtronic from the 201t and replace with an adjustable carb? If so what carb? I have a low mileage 201 that runs sickly and would rather not replace with another Mtronic carb.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With all the wisdom in here I would think this question has been asked before. I cant imagine Im the first to ask it. I did all the mods and mildly helped. Its the carb I know it is. It is no comparison to a 200T.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With all the wisdom in here I would think this question has been asked before. I cant imagine Im the first to ask it. I did all the mods and mildly helped. Its the carb I know it is. It is no comparison to a 200T.

Have you kitted the carb? It's probably not the electronics, possibly the solenoid... I believe those are cheap.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will order a solenoid and try it. Carb has been cleaned and rebuilt. It stalls out often, spits and sputters in the cut at top end and just not all around impressive. I build adjustable carb 200Ts and have no problems. I so badly want to turn screws when this saw does that and then I realize none of it is up to me to change. Frustrating.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That right there is the Mtronic nightmare.
I have the same concerns. That is why I waited so long to get an Mtronic.
Hopefully it all works out for you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will order a solenoid and try it. Carb has been cleaned and rebuilt. It stalls out often, spits and sputters in the cut at top end and just not all around impressive. I build adjustable carb 200Ts and have no problems. I so badly want to turn screws when this saw does that and then I realize none of it is up to me to change. Frustrating.

Dang, would be so nice if you had a known good one to swap parts on...

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you did 'all the mods' did you over advance the timing? I'd also check the intake system for obstructions like intake manifold gasket that my be blocking a strato port or something. Just throwing out a few ideas. Even check the ignition system like gap between flywheel mag's & coil, change spark plug. I have 200t & it rips but my 201 is about as strong just different power delivery.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did advance the timing a few degrees. I will try the solenoid. If that doesn't work Ill tear it down and get a good look at it inside and see.
Why do people hate adjusting a carb? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did advance the timing a few degrees. I will try the solenoid. If that doesn't work Ill tear it down and get a good look at it inside and see.
Why do people hate adjusting a carb? It doesn't make any sense to me.

The MT system is more advanced than I realized. More going on than carb adjustments.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The MT system is more advanced than I realized. More going on than carb adjustments.

I'm listening. Not in great depths, but a basic run down would help. Its not changing timing or anything is it? Ya know if it is getting so complex it would be nice if it simplified some things. Like able to send data for diagnosing problems. Air leak(lean), poor spark, low comp, solenoid malfunction...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

sidis8

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys

I recently bought a 201tc crank case and rebuild it. Used a am 201t cylinder and piston.

Stihl actually makes a part kit that has a adjustable carburetor, non m tronic ignition module and a flywheel for the 201t. Here's the part number

1145 007 1802

The best part it's only like 120 bucks.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How old is the saw? In most cases its the selenoid that gos bad and or the coil.i have 261c and love the mtron

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is no difference in the P&C of the 201T and 201TC. The 201TC has shown to be a much better saw in stock configuration.

The kit you're referring to was implemented as a fix for 201Ts when they were horrible runners, early on. They were not intended to convert MTronic saws to standard. That would be a mistake, IMHO.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I am old school. I like what I know and I like to have control in making changes. I am not sure where I am at with Mtronic yet. I know which way im leaning.
Are you saying it would be a mistake due to the curve in changes that go on in running of the saw? Like dirty air filter, moisture conditions, weather, elevation, etc. that the Mtronic corrects for you?
It seems more Mtronic saws are popping up in my garage. I just got a 661C.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I dont like those non-Mtronic MS 201s
You have to adjust the carb every day to get a properly running saw.

They were just PITA, even with those Carb/coil kits.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why would a 201T need that many parts thrown at it to make it run well?