Stihl 201 Tank Pressure

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a 201 on the bench and wondering about some running issues. Claim is it falls on face in the cut and have to pull it out and bring back to RPMs again. Owner just doesn't get along with it, and I am trying to get him to love it. Muffler opened and timing advanced. So I thought id tear the carb off and give it a good cleaning. When I removed the fuel supply, fuel came spraying out hard(after I cracked the cap and resealed). I am wondering what a fuel tank pressure and vacuum should read? Could too much fuel tank pressure cause an issue? Maybe if the needle valve is seating 100 percent tight. Id love this to just be a simple tank vent replacement.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a 201 on the bench and wondering about some running issues. Claim is it falls on face in the cut and have to pull it out and bring back to RPMs again. Owner just doesn't get along with it, and I am trying to get him to love it. Muffler opened and timing advanced. So I thought id tear the carb off and give it a good cleaning. When I removed the fuel supply, fuel came spraying out hard(after I cracked the cap and resealed). I am wondering what a fuel tank pressure and vacuum should read? Could too much fuel tank pressure cause an issue? Maybe if the needle valve is seating 100 percent tight. Id love this to just be a simple tank vent replacement.
Should hold pressure when tested but not hold vac , test at the fuel line with tank empty and leave the breather on.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your carburetor fuel inlet should be to hold at 11.6 PSI tank pressure and the tank should not be holding a vacuum.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your carburetor fuel inlet should be to hold at 11.6 PSI tank pressure and the tank should not be holding a vacuum.
What are you saying the tank pressure should hold or not hold?

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was this saw compression tested?

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not chk compression but I will. If I was a betting man id bet a lot on it is fine. Not many miles on saw and drop pulls hard.
What is your suspicion on the compression or lack of compression?

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As you experienced, the tank will hold pressure. Stihl uses a true one-valve.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not chk compression but I will. If I was a betting man id bet a lot on it is fine. Not many miles on saw and drop pulls hard.
What is your suspicion on the compression or lack of compression?
Just so you can eliminate that as a problem ,do you have a gauge that will screw into that smaller 10 mm thread?

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So high fuel tank pressure will not effect way saw runs? I did not find anything obvious inside carb.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just so you can eliminate that as a problem ,do you have a gauge that will screw into that smaller 10 mm thread?
I ordered a conversion reducer a while back. Now can I find it in 1 of the drawers?

SteveinUT

Have gun - will travel
Local time
11:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My 026 is doing the same thing. I just ordered a new tank vent and fuel filter. Hopefully that will cure it. It sure seems like mine is starved for fuel within a few seconds in a cut. For a saw that the previous owner said had been "fully serviced" I'm finding out quick that he was full of *s-word. All the more reason for me to stick with used saws from folks here and not local...

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced, rebuilt and reassembled everything over the wknd. Seems to run fine. Now just hope the owner feels the same way.
I did a cut comparison against a few 200Ts and felt it was right there with them.