High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 200T - what is the best carb for it?

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was brought a 200T that "just don't run right." I ripped it apart and did a pressure/vac test. It passed. I took a look inside the tank and saw the fuel line was cracked just below where it connects to the tank. Installed new fuel line and put saw together. Fire it up, and all is well. Take it out for a field test and to tune it. China carb, so no "stops" on carb. Start at 1 and 1. Keep messing with it and it will never tune properly. It actually seems to run best with the "L" turned all the way closed! I am assuming this carb is junk... What should I look to replace it with? Thanks!

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
sounds stupid but I had one that I could not tune no matter what carby I had ..(.about 6-two of which were new) that worked fine once I rebuilt to top ends. no idea what the connection is.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston looks perfect. I did not test compression, but the "other guy" he has had working on his saws put a new crank, bearings, and seals in it not too long ago. He likes to replace carbs with the cheap ebay ones rather than pay for a rebuild. I have read that these saws all came with problematic carbs. There were a few threads on AS about this matter, but they are all several years old. Maybe there is a new fix? I also figured we should have any pertinent info for this problem here on OPE so we will not have to refer to other forums. The problem most people had with them seemed to come from a piston with an o-ring. It seems that once it wears the o-ring, it scores the cylinder it runs in causing all sorts of trouble. The fix was to pull the piston and epoxy the hole, or at least that is it in a nutshell as far as I can remember... The owner is supposed to find the OEM rebuilt carb for me to put back on the saw. I need to know what I need to look out for if he cannot locate the carb that came on it.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
None that style. This carb has some fairly odd linkages. I have installed several of the china carbs for my friend. Honestly, most are ready to rock right from the gate. I have never really even needed to adjust the mixture screws on most of them. I am fairly uncertain about rebuild kits for them though. I guess for the price point they are just as easy to replace. I have bought many items from Dave (I am markandvelana on ebay) and have never had a problem with anything he sells.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sounds stupid but I had one that I could not tune no matter what carby I had ..(.about 6-two of which were new) that worked fine once I rebuilt to top ends. no idea what the connection is.
The piston wears and you dont get the same pressure to run the fuel pump.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was brought a 200T that "just don't run right." I ripped it apart and did a pressure/vac test. It passed. I took a look inside the tank and saw the fuel line was cracked just below where it connects to the tank. Installed new fuel line and put saw together. Fire it up, and all is well. Take it out for a field test and to tune it. China carb, so no "stops" on carb. Start at 1 and 1. Keep messing with it and it will never tune properly. It actually seems to run best with the "L" turned all the way closed! I am assuming this carb is junk... What should I look to replace it with? Thanks!
"China carb "as in non OEM? I like OEM carbs better.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm at work. I only have the China carb that is on it now. Is that what you want a pic of?

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm at work. I only have the China carb that is on it now. Is that what you want a pic of?
Yes ,but I already know any one of the carbs will work on there. Does it have the intellicarb port?

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will have to apologize for my ignorance about intellicarb. It has a port on the top of the carb if I remember correctly, if that is what you are referring to.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will have to apologize for my ignorance about intellicarb. It has a port on the top of the carb if I remember correctly, if that is what you are referring to.
Yup Im, trying to upload a pic .

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0821.JPG Of course the one on the right has the port for intelicarb.

Last edited:

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He is supposed to be locating the original carb. The impulse line is hooked up. It runs. It does not tune properly. I can turn the "L" all the way in and the saw seems to run better. That can't be right... It may have a problem in the metering of the carb, but I didn't want to tear the carb apart not knowing if I could get a kit for it. As it sits, it is usable, just not "right" - I don't like handing over a saw to someone that is not "right"