Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just looking for second opinions here guys.
Is this saw the real deal or is it a Chinese knock off?

What says you guys?

These are the only pictures I haveimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
12:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Chinese knock off parts don't have anything that says stihl anywhere on them. Stihl parts always have a part number embossed or stamped.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
do you have the saw with you mike ?

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I don't have it. I've been talking with a guy that's trying to sell it. He's about a 5hr drive from me. I'm just trying to figure out if this saw is legit. I've asked him for a picture of the serial number. I'm waiting for his reply

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
looks to nice to be original unless restored and he would surely show you serial number or parts numbers on the saw what is he asking for it

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The story I'm getting from the seller is that his dad was some sort of a logger in eastern Canada and had bought this saw a couple years before he passed away and had only used it a few times. The seller just wants it gone because it reminds him of his dad.
I don't want to mention the price yet because it's to good to be true if the saw is legit.

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hopefully it's legit, but that Stihl logo is older. The newer ones just had an orange rectangle with Stihl on it I believe. There are some broken fins, so the recoil is real, but the rest of it unless recently restored looks a little too good to me. As others have said not an AV either.

Keep us updated, and good luck!

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I see ads that often look good I take the images and drag and drop them into a Google Image search window. If you pull up a blank window of Google Images and drag yours in it will search for a match to yours.

Searching these yielded nothing, so that's good at least. Just a heads up for guys looking at stuff online too.

DSS

widebody
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The story I'm getting from the seller is that his dad was some sort of a logger in eastern Canada and had bought this saw a couple years before he passed away and had only used it a few times. The seller just wants it gone because it reminds him of his dad.
I don't want to mention the price yet because it's to good to be true if the saw is legit.
I'd like to know where in eastern canada he was and needed a 090. A 24'' dbh tree is considered very large here and has been for quite some time. Unless he was cutting yard trees with it.

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to know where in eastern canada he was and needed a 090. A 24'' dbh tree is considered very large here and has been for quite some time. Unless he was cutting yard trees with it.
The seller I believe is originally from Nfld somewhere. He says he has recently relocated to the Ottawa area because of work.

Reactions: DSS

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol mike you can text it to me i dont want it

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hopefully it's legit, but that Stihl logo is older. The newer ones just had an orange rectangle with Stihl on it I believe. There are some broken fins, so the recoil is real, but the rest of it unless recently restored looks a little too good to me. As others have said not an AV either.

Keep us updated, and good luck!

Yeah, that older recoil logo throws me a bit, as does the spark plug wire which is the original grey and is not a Chinese part. I think it's an older, original saw that was freshened up with some exterior aftermarket parts.

The Chinese have definitely NOT made a full-wrap handle for the 070/090 series yet, so that part is OEM.

The clutch cover is definitely aftermarket.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hopefully the seller gets back with mike i told him to have him send pics of the filter cover and handle to see if part numbers are there .

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'd be wanting to see the bottom of the saw, how it looks with that older starter housing removed, and mainly get a picture of the clutch!! If it's a 6 shoe buy that thing fast, because they sure as hell don't put those on the Chinese ones!

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seller said that the saw has a new full wrap handle bar, west coast spikes, six shoe clutch and a mint Stihl piston and cylinder.
I've asked the seller to send me some more pictures of a few areas of the saw. I want to see some part numbers and maybe even a serial number so I can decide if the saw is actually real or Chinese.
I'm still waiting for a response from the seller.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Based on that I'd say buy it anyway unless the price is ridiculous. If it's Chinese you could part out that saw and make good money, and if not you've got an 090 with loads of expensive NLA parts.

Oh and if memory serves I think the case logo and part number is Under the governor flap under the starter housing

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Based on that I'd say buy it anyway unless the price is ridiculous. If it's Chinese you could part out that saw and make good money, and if not you've got an 090 with loads of expensive NLA parts.

Oh and if memory serves I think the case logo and part number is Under the governor flap under the starter housing

i told him the same thing lol