High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 075 Recoil Repair - Can I weld it or what is best?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am working on a co-worker's Stihl 075. Going through different checks, found that the pull cord was only 12" long - apparently it broke at some point and never replaced. I had an extra pull cord and installed it. I got it all back together and found that the rope would not fully recoil, got hung up with about 8" left out. I took off the screw and washer holding everything down and the rope recoiled in the rest of the way without issue. Taking everything apart again I found that the recoil spring cover is cutting into the collar (as blocked in red in the image below). The collar has been partly undercut and bends in throwing it out of round and causing issues.

Can this be repaired through welding, or any other options from those who may have done this type of repair before. Getting another one is an option, but I would like to explore repair options first.

075 Recoil.png

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
partly depends on material it is made of, if true alum. it could be built back up and then re-machined. There are a lot alum+ xyz mixtures. If pot metal, better to get a new one or second hand in good condition. if you don't have a lathe and Tig unit , likely better to find one to purchase.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's likely magnesium.

If that center stud can be removed then it can be cut out, built back up with weld and machined back. Welding that root crack without being able to reach both sides would likely be very weak.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's likely magnesium.

If that center stud can be removed then it can be cut out, built back up with weld and machined back. Welding that root crack without being able to reach both sides would likely be very weak.
Good to know, looks like this will be beyond what I can do with two screwdrivers, a hammer and some JB Weld.