High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 066 v's MS660 v's MS661

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
8:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I believe that's the direction I'm going,I've got a flat top stuck back for a head saw.
Stock appearing has my attention.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a well used Stihl 066 Magnum. Its got the poly flywheel and had the C&P replaced with aftermarket units.
I have replaced all the hoses, seals and clutch/sprocket and it is very reliable and strong.
But..... its not been loved and the alloy case has pitting all over it, which isnt really a problem, but it holds all the crap and makes it hard to clean up after a days work.

Now I have been looking and there are plenty of low use MS660's for sale but I dont really see much advantage in changing over.

I am interested in the MS661 with its much better AV systems but the whole computer controlled thing has me nervous.
If I get one it will end up getting ported and I would love to hear peoples opinions on weather its worth upgrading.
How do the new computer controlled carbs respond to mods like porting and muffler mods?

Next question...... Will I get better performance from a new MS661 or from my old 066. I guess it depends on the timing config of these models.

At this stage, if I keep the 066, I plan to strip it for a full rebuild, port etc

I guess I am wondering if its worth putting the time and effort and cost into getting the old girl running hot or getting a new 661 to play with?

opinions?
Keep the 066. 066 all day long.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best answer
Thank u:) i don't like the feel of the new Stihls, nor flip caps. I would definitely prefer a older 066, and 046 compared to the newer series. I'm running a 395 xp now. I would like to see a stock 395 vs a 661. I would not be against trying a 661, but would never part with a 066 for one:) but man I just don't, like the new seeming bulkier saw. You know who's making the cylinders? Is it stihl?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
9:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank u:) i don't like the feel of the new Stihls, nor flip caps. I would definitely prefer a older 066, and 046 compared to the newer series. I'm running a 395 xp now. I would like to see a stock 395 vs a 661. I would not be against trying a 661, but would never part with a 066 for one:) but man I just don't, like the new seeming bulkier saw. You know who's making the cylinders? Is it stihl?
I hear ya Norm, most of my saws are the older stihls, it would be a cold day in hell before I got rid of my 066. I would assume that Mahle is still making the cylinders

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear ya Norm, most of my saws are the older stihls, it would be a cold day in hell before I got rid of my 066. I would assume that Mahle is still making the cylinders
Yep all the stihl cutters here at home are keeping the older ones. I had heard few years back stihl was doing cylinders but haven't kept up, in the 461-661.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
11:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now this is why I started this thread. To bring out the pro's and cons of both sides.

The 066 is a great saw and has given me no grief.

I like the thought of the newer technology and better AV system, but bring realistic, I only cut firewood so a slight loss in cut times is negotiable. Its not for an income.
I am also a tinkerer and think I would get bored with a computer controlled carb.

Although I am an Automation engineer...... maybe I could hack into the fuel air curves?

I will be more interested to know how the computer controlled saws are still going several years down the track.
My concern with them is when sensors or faults in electronics from vibration etc, give a bad reading and send the saw lean, you wont get a warning light on the dash like in your car...... it will just kill the saw.