Stihl 066 AM Cylinder Choices

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an 066 come in recently that belongs to a local mill. The saw normally wears a 24" bar and back and forth between a 7 and 8 pin rim. That being said this saw finally gave up the ghost and cooked. With customer saws I generally do not try to clean up a cylinder; that's just me.

Now looking at our site sponsor's site there are several options for a jug. I have run several Meteor top ends no issue. I have run Hyway jugs on demo saws and some of their pistons in OEM jugs; again good results. I have used Cross before too...again no issue. I am looking for an out of the box, slam it on, and go cylinder. I am itching to use the MMWS Cross top end but via phone a good friend said some issues have been popping up with some of the build off saws with this top end.

Those that build more than me, or have more experience with the 06/660 saws, what direction would you go?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meteor has been good to me used several of them.
Cross i haven't used.
Hyway 028 kit worked great and a couple of other hyways kits no issues.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me, the MMWS is not a pop-n-slam cylinder
If you take 15 minutes with a fine stone, then its a great option
Beveling just not 100% up to snuff or does it need a little reshaping?

Also will they run gasket-less or do they need a base?

I apologize as I know these answers are scattered through out the board but lately I have minimal time and just need to get some parts ordered and get this one sizing up more logs.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Overall out of the box has been HyWay for me. I have used more HyWay jugs and slugs than any other. Same reason your looking for plug and play. No company has sent me a bolt on jug that was "bolt-on" besides HyWay, Raisman and Meteor in that order. The Raisman jugs I like are no longer in production. Meteors small offerings are getting worse not better. Take a shot at the MMWS. I'm told they have the best performance numbers out of the box. 15-20 minutes prep is a small price to pay.

I can hand check and correct most that come my way. I don't play games with plating issues. They get shelved for play toys or returned to sender for a refund or replacement.

A question to you. Would guys be interested in paying 10-20% more for a "true bolt on jug"?

Last edited:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me no aftermarket jug is a plug and play. Every one i have seen needed something touched up.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh ok.. so sounds like there is no clear good choice.

FWIW I received a text from a buddy that said use one kit and another piston.. probably how I'll go... just roll the dice.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just about any kit can run just fine for the average firewood guy. Be prepared to chamfer ports. I do not ever try and machine them or port them like a oem as so far all am kits plating has sucked except the gold colered hyway kits. They seem to always have very nice plating. Most all chrome plated kits ive messed with did not last very long. Plating plain wore through. At first i thought it was the caber rings causing it but after seeing it several times below the intake and on my saws where i know the filters were clean and no fines got through i figured out the plating was just thin and not durable. Just like 359 oem jugs are. If you score a 359 it almost always goes to scrap. Yrmv but this is mu experience in the 5+ years ive messed with building saws.