Trader history (0)

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took advantage of the freezing rain today and tore down an old 064 I've had for many years. I parked the saw almost 2 years ago when it started making bearing noise. Bought all the parts to change out the bearings (bearings, seals, gaskets) a long time ago, just now getting the time to tear it down.

Upon tearing it down this afternoon, I found the issue isn't the bearings, the damned bearing sleeve is loose. Bearings are fine. Does anyone out there have a PTO side? In all honestly, I'd do a complete case and crank assy if someone has one they'd sell.

Hit me up if you have anything.....

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scotty, Loctite makes a bearing retainer compound that’s supposed to work. The name of it escapes me.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scotty, Loctite makes a bearing retainer compound that’s supposed to work. The name of it escapes me.
Loctite 609 I believe
Thanks fellas, only thing is I don't know how I'd get it cleaned out enough between the sleeve and the mag case. Nor how I'd be able to get that 609 down in there.

Soooo, I jumped the gun and did this.....lmao....
20181124_195003.jpg

I dimpled a center punch all the way around the case. From everything I've researched, these loose sleeves are a dickhole to deal with, being the two different metals have different expansion/contraction rates. This is my beater bucking saw, so if it fails,I'll just have to tear it back down and get a case.....if any of yinz have one you'll sell me.....lol

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You needed to pull that bearing, dimple inside and use the loctite.
I did pull the bearing, that sleeve won't come out. But it was loose.

The sleeve doesn't travel clear through the case, it stops shy of the oil pump. There is a very thin flange of magnesium on the oil pump side.

I tried to get that bastahd out, it won't pop out. So I replace the bearing with a new one, and dimpled the fugger......if it goes, it goes. Seems pretty damned tight now.

The way I'm seeing it, these sleeves are a dumb idea from the get-go. I don't recall the other 064 I just had apart having a sleeve like this. And it's only on the PTO side.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I could get the ring out without damaging the case, I'd give that stuff a try.

I have no way of getting the gas and oil out from inside that ring, nor to get the adhesive behind the ring.

Now on not familiar with this saw but could this trick help?

Now please if this seems like a bad idea jump in and say so please.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I could get the ring out without damaging the case, I'd give that stuff a try.

I have no way of getting the gas and oil out from inside that ring, nor to get the adhesive behind the ring.

Brake clean and an air hose. Or if you have it stripped down to just the case half, bake the case at 150-200 degrees for a while on the grill. The gas and oil should evaporate enough for the stuff to work.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep looking for a good set of cases. I’m sure a set will pop up here, AS, or eBay.

I don’t recommend using mismatched halves for this series. I’ve done it once, but the cylinder mating surface required truing. That saw is a beater for me and I expect a catastrophic ending for it any time... not something you want on one of your tree jobs :).

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did pull the bearing, that sleeve won't come out. But it was loose.

The sleeve doesn't travel clear through the case, it stops shy of the oil pump. There is a very thin flange of magnesium on the oil pump side.

I tried to get that bastahd out, it won't pop out. So I replace the bearing with a new one, and dimpled the fugger......if it goes, it goes. Seems pretty damned tight now.

The way I'm seeing it, these sleeves are a dumb idea from the get-go. I don't recall the other 064 I just had apart having a sleeve like this. And it's only on the PTO side.
Ah, I mis read. I have a couple cases if you cant find one Scott.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah, I mis read. I have a couple cases if you cant find one Scott.
No worries man, I have a hard time 'splainin things sometimes...lol

If you have a case/crank assy, I'd be interested.

I'll let you know, I'm hoping to get that other 064 out and cut with it some today, I'll shoot a video of it.

Last edited:

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now on not familiar with this saw but could this trick help?

Now please if this seems like a bad idea jump in and say so please.
I actually thought about putting a couple small beads inside that bushing to see if I could get it to fall out, and looking for a bearing that would have the extra OD but the same ID/seal flange and overall thickness to replace it.....

If I find a replacement case, I'll give that idear a stab! That way if I fugg it all up, it will just be a lesson.....lol

The magnesium melting or igniting is my main concern....

Last edited:

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep looking for a good set of cases. I’m sure a set will pop up here, AS, or eBay.

I don’t recommend using mismatched halves for this series. I’ve done it once, but the cylinder mating surface required truing. That saw is a beater for me and I expect a catastrophic ending for it any time... not something you want on one of your tree jobs :).
I found one on ebay, my main concern is that it will have the same issue I'm dealing with. The guy won't move on the price, in honestly it looks more beat-up than the case I have.

This is more-or-less a beater saw too, this was my first 064, I've had it for many years now, and it's had this bearing noise for years, I parked it almost 2 years ago and am just now getting around to tearing it down. At any rate, I will keep looking for a matched set of cases and good crank. I appreciate all the feedback fellas! Keep your feelers out for me, of you see any deals, LMK.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually thought about putting a couple small beads inside that bushing to see if I could get it to fall out, and looking for a bearing that would have the extra OD but the same ID/seal flange and overall thickness to replace it.....

If I find a replacement case, I'll give that idear a stab! That way if I fugg it all up, it will just be a lesson.....lol

The magnesium melting or igniting is my main concern....

Do it outside lol.

In situations like this one has to wonder what would @srcarr52 do?

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sleeve doesnt come out its cast into the case
If its loose it will leak air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. Why the fugg would they do that to a pro saw?

Are all 064's sleeved?