High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 048 AV

Oregon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I got an old Stihl 048 AV from my dad. I remember this saw from when I was young. Anyway, it had not run in a long time. Many years I’m guessing. I got it to fire up, but it dies pretty quick. I can feather the throttle and keep it going, but it won’t idle for long. I’m guessing I should replace the fuel, pulse lines and probably get a carb kit. The piston and cylinder look great through the plug hole and exhaust port. Is this the best place to start? Can you even get this stuff anymore?

Thanks

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is where I would start. I am sure the kit is available for the carb the rest I am not sure it has been a while since I was in an 048

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl Part numbers
Fuel hose 1117 358 7700
Impulse Hose 1115 141 8600
Air filter flocked 1117 120 1611

Walbro carb kit number K10-WS.
That is on the pretense is has a Walbro WS series carb on it.

I was mistaken it was not an 048 but an 042 that I was in a few years ago.

Oregon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. It looks kinda intimidating in there. Very tight spaces not much room to work. The fuel line is easy to get to, but the pulse line not so much. The carb, I’ll just have to video tape myself taking it apart so I’ll know exactly how to put it back together. I’ve seen enough videos to have an idea. Doesn’t mean I know what I’m doing. Lol
The filter is a two piece screen deal. You have to split it to get it out. Not flocked. Thank you for the links to the fuel line and carb kit.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They made both screened and flocked filters for the 042/048 series .The flocked ones are almost impossible to find in good shape .On that carb ,every carb manufacturer has a web site showing the illustrated parts lists and and settings on just about any model you can think of as well as trouble shooting instructions .----Google ---

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 048 Stihl was the first of that brand I ever owned or worked on .Grab from E-bay from a Stihl dealer on the cheap from Oregon .The lady was honest and told me it had a spun main bearing .She was right .
I was in the blind .I never worked on anything assembled like this,heat shrunk bearings ,no special tools no parts list,nothing .I fumbled through it ,took a little while .Eventually ended up with two of them plus an 042 .They are good runners but I seldom use them because I have lighter and faster now .
There's a lot of urban legions about the 048 . How much is true it's hard to say .Some say it was originally designed for the US forestry service which I doubt .Others say in it's day it had the highest power to weight ratio of any saw made up to that time which I could believe .

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an 042 that my dad bought in the early 70's. to my knowledge the saw has never had one thing done to it. Before I got interested in saws I threw the saw in the trash pile behind the house during a spring cleaning because I was tired of it being in the way. A couple years later I ran across a saw forum and my interest peaked. I went and dug through the debris and found the old saw which had been exposed to 2 years of every kind of weather. Cleaned the filth,dirt off . Poured fresh gas and put some in carb and it fired and ran. I have a 28" bar full skip on it and I used it 2 weeks ago for 4 hours bucking w/o fail ! Like was said before , a virtual tank.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some people think they are heavy but I suppose it's all relative .That entire series from 028 up to 048 were well made . The 038 magnum is probably the most recognized in the series .