High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 046/460 D Jug. Are there benefits using it on a 460, or better using it on a Hybrid?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like lots of fingers and stuff. Lol. [emoji106]

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One in Kevs pic has no decomp
The chamber in Kevs cylinder also looks like a 044 chamber to me.
I know kevin knows his *s-word with cylinders but I'm curious if his cylinder might be a 50mm(044 cylinder). @Moparmyway

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know kevin knows his *s-word with cylinders but I'm curious if his cylinder might be a 50mm(044 cylinder). @Moparmyway
I'm betting it's 52, I believe he mistaked it for a 64 jug at one time. :D

It's possible though... he is getting old. :eek::oops::D

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No argument from me, I do think the Ds generally came with better port timing.

IIRC, the first year, and some of second year 046 jugs had better port timing. Then for some reason (EPA? Or maybe EPA made them restrict the mufflers, and that led them to change the timing? Or ?), the timing changed, whilst still keeping the “D”. Then, it went to
Hemi chamber. I think the move to hemispheric chamber also coincided with changing the ring retainer pin locations? (Memory is foggy... can anyone confirm?)

So:

D w/ good timing numbers
D w/ “less optimal” timing numbers
Hemi w/ “less optimal” timing.

I think. Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds about right, but some of the Hemis were good, just not as high a %. I think the early Ds were overall the best, and coincided with Sthil making the "real" 046 Magnum, with the factory DP cover!

My 460 was made from one of those cylinders. The guy was selling the saw with an AM P+C, but the original dp cover. I asked what happened to the original jug, and ended up buying the scored jug for $50. Al cleaned it up and ported it, and the rest is history!

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 124797
View attachment 124798

Both of these have decomps, second is hard to see but it's there
This has been a great thread and I have enjoyed reading it! It looks like the jug in the top pic would almost look like moparways jug if you machined more out of the squishband, you can almost see the faint out line of the rounder chamber on the exhaust side in his, your jug look like it has a slight step on the exhaust side, and with a touch more out of the band would really change the shape.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm betting it's 52, I believe he mistaked it for a 64 jug at one time. :D

It's possible though... he is getting old. :eek::oops::D

I'd be interested to see if the bore is 52mm. The OEM 046/460 jugs don't have a stepped base.
I put calipers on it this morning ...............
It IS a 50mm jug, for an 044
:facepalm:
I could blame CRS, XXX, Old fartitis, but it looks like I screwwed the pooch here men, my apologies
Big props to Deets, CFB, and Jacob J .............. you men definately know your stuff !!!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I got lucky today, and I gotta post it here. Rec'd 2 "parts saws" as payment for fixing a MS 460 with lots of problems.

The parts saws were a 460 and an 046. The 460 did not have a jug, the crank was ruined, both main bearings shot and tank handle was broken. Basically, just good to remove a few smalls (like chain adjuster).

The 046 had a jug, and when I scraped the crud off the SN, it started w/136. I'm thinking, maybe a D jug!!! Then I see all the muffler bolts are Allen key, so I think maybe the jug was replaced, but no, it is a real Mahle D jug!!! The rest of the saw may be crap, but the cylinder is in great shape, and it just "fell" into my lap! I still almost can't believe it, I'm exited!

So now I have both a Mahle Hemi and D cylinder to compare. The most obvious visual difference is the intake port is shaped differently, the rest of the porting on both of them looks remarkably similar.

I'll try to get some measurements and #s in the future. Looking forward to seeing how that D jug runs.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe it is Brad, you want the full SN so you can run it? It starts with 136, and that tells me it is good. Also, the huge muffler outlet hole is a good indicator.

Brad, you made me go out and look … anyone like 3s + 6s??? SN # 136333366.

I believe the earliest ones started w 135, and the D chamber run ended with S/Ns in the 137 to 138 range, but I'm just guessing based on what I have seen.

Please let me know if you find out anything. This saw may not have been registered, as it had a rental co sticker on it.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mayhaps you can put up pictures of both intakes so we know what you're looking at ?

I do plan to do this Kevin, just hope my cell phone can take close up. Sometimes (like when I took the SN) it gets blurry. On the D, the sides of the intake are flat, on the Hemi they are rounded. However, the outside of the intake on the Hemi does not look centered to me (looks like an AM). But they are both Mahle.