Stihl 038 Mag carb/air filter issues?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up an 038 Mag a few months back, new fuel line, spark plug, seals replaced, yet it will only run- minus the air filter....ordered another filter---wrong filter!
Saw runs like a raped ape full throttle minus the filter---slam filter back on--and nothing!
Dug around and noticed that entrance from the carb to the saw has been slightly drilled larger (perhaps for more air induction) & the springs on the old air filter were not strong enough keep that choke flap open.

I'm still a novice at this, but help me out on some possible fixes here.
New Carb, Rebuild Carb, ....??? Is OEM filter the only option?

Thanks,
Reg

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Choke may be getting sucked in when I needed a new filter I switched the oem flap and spring into the new filter

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is why the 038's have lost their popularity. I love my 038Mag, but I'd rather eat a bucket of spackle than run it. I can't stand the air filter and choke setup. When I get some time, I'ma gunna see about a carb swap or just run a V-stack with a green weenie air filter and just squirt some mix down the V-stack to get her started.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is why the 038's have lost their popularity. I love my 038Mag, but I'd rather eat a bucket of spackle than run it. I can't stand the air filter and choke setup. When I get some time, I'ma gunna see about a carb swap or just run a V-stack with a green weenie air filter and just squirt some mix down the V-stack to get her started.
I hear ya. But, I sell the @#$% out of them around my parts!
Are you running an OEM air filter on yours?
Carb swap sounds mighty appealing...:campeon:

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the opposite problem with an 038.

AF plastic warped at the choke flap hinge and it wouldn't cold start.

Waiting on new OEM we are.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a pizz poor design but if it's bad it's bad,replace it .I think I had one that would not close all the way but I didn't throw the saw away,just got another filter .

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had mine ported and that made the choke suck problem even worse. I took about three coils off of the spring with a small pair of daigonal cutters. I then had to re-form the hook where it attaches. It made the spring quite a bit stronger. It was a little fussy getting it back together, I remember using a loop of monofiliment fishing line to pull the spring into position where I could hook it up...

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get a winter filter for your 038 if you can find one. They flow better. I find the flocked filters once they get a bit dirty tend to have more issues with sucking the choke closed.
+ on the metal winter filter.
Forget that 038 filter/choke design!

I'm back to the drawing board on my
038 filter enhancements...
@coming soon...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 038 don't try to overtighten the carb bolts, it will slightly warp the filter and mess up the choke function. If you have to just use a little Dirko on the seam and just snug up the bolts but don't torque them down.
They've vibrated out this way .........

Mine just really sits now, I can't stand the AF just as much as I can't stand the choke. I saw how Scott did a switch and doesn't use the on/off/choke lever, so my wheels are spinning for a carb swap....... just need the time to play around with it.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HDA-191 fits right in, even has the impulse hole exactly where it needs to be relative to the impulse hole at the intake boot :thumbsup:

Problem #1 : while the Venturi and butterfly are both slightly larger on the 191, it's actually too large and the butterfly hits the intake boot ring :teeth:

Problem #2 : the fuel inlet and fuel hose interfere with the choke operation :teeth:

Soultion #1: use the original carb and add sone aluminum. ; see below
IMG_4743.JPG

A little more spinning the OD, then I'll make the holes large enough for a socket to tighten the nuts, then I'll make the tapered inlet to complete the velocity stack. A green weenie is in the works. I'll just pop off the weenie and squirt some mix in there when I'd normally use the choke, then pop the weenie back into place

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HDA-191 fits right in, even has the impulse hole exactly where it needs to be relative to the impulse hole at the intake boot :thumbsup:

Problem #1 : while the Venturi and butterfly are both slightly larger on the 191, it's actually too large and the butterfly hits the intake boot ring :teeth:

Problem #2 : the fuel inlet and fuel hose interfere with the choke operation :teeth:

Soultion #1: use the original carb and add sone aluminum. ; see below
View attachment 71708

A little more spinning the OD, then I'll make the holes large enough for a socket to tighten the nuts, then I'll make the tapered inlet to complete the velocity stack. A green weenie is in the works. I'll just pop off the weenie and squirt some mix in there when I'd normally use the choke, then pop the weenie back into place
You sir are the Einstein of chainsaw repair! :campeon:
That for me, would be akin to translating Egyptian hieroglyphs! o_O:eek:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You sir are the Einstein of chainsaw repair! :campeon:
That for me, would be akin to translating Egyptian hieroglyphs! o_O:eek:
Ummmmm ......... ok, but I've been lucky to have a few friends helping me out along the way, and if you knew just how nerve wracking this is for me ............ trying to figure out what to do first, second, next ........... do the third before you should have done the second, and its junk. I know that its just aluminum, but theres a ton of time making this work by hand.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is my first time making a velocity stack, and this is where I'm at. I'll do things a little differently on my next one , and change some steps in the order in which I've done things.

This is close to being done ........ about 15 minutes to cut to length, and about an hour (to be safe, more like 1/2 hour) of grinding clearances for the nuts.

I might throw in a carb kit, and while the carb is apart, I'm thinking of using JBWeld to taper the opening in the bore to the carb inlet, or I'll try feathering the carb outer edges with a diamond burr.IMG_4746.JPG