Stihl 036 QS

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have one of these with the Quick Stop?

I just got one in, the guy picked it up and "fixed" it. There is has to be a part missing in the QS mechanism at the chain brake because the chain brake is always on.

By looking at the IPL I am not seeing what part is missing or not working on this thing. Does anyone have one that you could take a picture of the brake components with the cover off?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you sure the lever that actuates the brake is on right and not upside down, had that happen to me once and the same thing happened. I THINK Stihl has the same brake system (pretty much anyway) for all their saws.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an 034 super av quickstop with no evidence of the qs. Either the cover or badge were changed, or the handle, brake, and cable (or however they work) were changed. I've never laid eyes on a working one. Sorry I can't help Ross

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these with the Quick Stop?

I just got one in, the guy picked it up and "fixed" it. There is has to be a part missing in the QS mechanism at the chain brake because the chain brake is always on.

By looking at the IPL I am not seeing what part is missing or not working on this thing. Does anyone have one that you could take a picture of the brake components with the cover off?

Ross,

It is my understanding that there is an extra brake mechanism in the rear handle assembly that makes it a QS. Could this be the source of the malfunction you are describing? I don't know, but it may be worth a looksee.

I'll keep digging for more info/diagrams.

Frogfarmer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have at least one marked quick stop and it is just a regular hand guard actuated inertia chain brake. I don't think the quick stop indicates the rear handle interlock.

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
it does mean that, maybe he has had the shrouds swapped at some time? there were also two different versions of that system. serial break is 141 703 419. I have one of the early versions at home under my bench collecting dust, not even sure if the extra brake system works...most parts for those are starting to become nla...it uses a different oil pump etc. anyways....I can take a look at it when I get home and get some pics if it helps.

Frogfarmer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The QS is a whole different animal than the ones marked quick stop.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The QS is a whole different animal than the ones marked quick stop.

Shoot....

And I was thinking if worst came to worst I could potentially put on a new handle and try to get rid of the QS stuff....

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It looks like all the parts are there.

After looking at this one harder, the chain brake itself isn't resetting and is always engaged.
By looking at the IPL, I notice that the brake band is specific for this saw. The one that is on this one looks to be a standard 034/036 band for starters.

The guy informed me that the saw is mine. He is a local small engine repair guy and he says he hates working on saws. This one was given to him and he started to look at it and he gave up.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not the brakeband... The whole guts of that brake seem to be a whole different animal... Lol...learned something. I like the regular Stihl brake, easy to work on, and if you've got the carb set right the chain stops when you let off the throttle...;)

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
22637c122f29dac31552ac333d84cc82.jpg

ff79e51fbfa10111b4c1cdf1d32b023c.jpg