stihl 024 idle issues

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Installed an a/m carb on saw and it cranked up and adjusted h/l jets . will idle all day at 3200. the idle screw all the way out does not affect whatsoever. cut with saw and cutas it should but will not idle down.
did a vac/pressure test which passed. Also if i tip saw down on muffler front the saw will slow down until it dies. has new fuel and filter. tank is venting properly. sprayed carb cleaner around boot and impulse with no change in rpm's . any advice

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
3:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running too lean will usually boost the idle. I'm sure you tried opening up the low-speed setscrew a tad to see if that would slow it down. If it doesn't, that carb is the problem. I have to agree with post #4.

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Installed an a/m carb on saw and it cranked up and adjusted h/l jets . will idle all day at 3200. the idle screw all the way out does not affect whatsoever. cut with saw and cutas it should but will not idle down.
did a vac/pressure test which passed. Also if i tip saw down on muffler front the saw will slow down until it dies. has new fuel and filter. tank is venting properly. sprayed carb cleaner around boot and impulse with no change in rpm's . any advice

Chinese carbs are hit n miss. 99% a miss usually. Ive never had a chinese carb work right. Get a genuine wt194 walbro. Best carb for those saws and you can get a brand new one on eBay for $50. I run the 194 on my 024 and in all my 026 builds i do