Stihl 011avt rehab help

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back story, a coworker gave me this saw about a year ago. He's a city slicker and had no need for it any longer. I did get it to lite off at a gtg for a brief moment, probably just enough to burn any fuel left in the carb. Discovered disintegrated fuel lines, so I'm looking to do a simple tune up.
My BIL reached out to me wanting a saw for his wife to help him clear trails on their newly acquired property. Told him I'd rehab it first.

I have zero experience working on top handle saws. Hoping fuel lines aren't too bad of a job. If you've worked on this series, lmk what I'm in for. Do I need the OEM line or not?

IMG_3123[1].JPG IMG_3124[1].JPG IMG_3125[1].JPG

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That' an excellent score. I love those little top/rear handles.

From the top handles that I've worked on are a standard bulk fuel line.

@raybenson should have the shop manual.

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back story, a coworker gave me this saw about a year ago. He's a city slicker and had no need for it any longer. I did get it to lite off at a gtg for a brief moment, probably just enough to burn any fuel left in the carb. Discovered disintegrated fuel lines, so I'm looking to do a simple tune up.
My BIL reached out to me wanting a saw for his wife to help him clear trails on their newly acquired property. Told him I'd rehab it first.

I have zero experience working on top handle saws. Hoping fuel lines aren't too bad of a job. If you've worked on this series, lmk what I'm in for. Do I need the OEM line or not?

View attachment 142636 View attachment 142637 View attachment 142638

I just did one last week for a guy. They're actually pretty easy to do a fuel system rehab on. Only took about a half hour or so. Just pop the air filter out and you'll see see.

Fuel line just feeds into the tank from the inside the air box. I just used bulk Echo fuel line and put a cheap kit in the carb. The biggest pain was popping the handle and throttle rod out and back in(and that was a non issue really) to remove the carb for a rebuild .

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sweet. Thanks for replies. I do have the manual file but I was unsure on the line question. Looks like there may be different carbs used so I’ll have to get in there and find out what I have to order a kit.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just did one last week for a guy. They're actually pretty easy to do a fuel system rehab on. Only took about a half hour or so. Just pop the air filter out and you'll see see.

Fuel line just feeds into the tank from the inside the air box. I just used bulk Echo fuel line and put a cheap kit in the carb. The biggest pain was popping the handle and throttle rod out and back in(and that was a non issue really) to remove the carb for a rebuild .
Zama? What kit did you use? I'm seeing RB11. And can you share what size the fuel line was? Appreciate it. I'm trying to simplify my order with DDave.
I'm going to need a carb gasket too.
IMG_3137[1].JPG IMG_3138[1].JPG

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one I did had a walbro carb on it so I used a K10-wat kit. As for the fuel line size I'll have to get back to you on that.

I'll have to go out to the shop and pull a piece out and measure it. I picked up 3 feet of every size Echo line a couple years ago from my local dealer, I just pull it out when I need and match it up. Carb gasket on the one I did survived so I can't help you there.

jakeshi

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm well versed in these saws tore many completely down and rebuilt. if you still need help I will do what I can to assist.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm well versed in these saws tore many completely down and rebuilt. if you still need help I will do what I can to assist.
Funny you reply now, just yesterday my BIL texted me. He's done with the saw.
Basically the saw won't hold tune great. He is not the type to tinker either. I have been to his place twice and ran it some and tuned it. Seemed ok last time, which was a good while ago.
I kitted the carb, replaced lines and filters. I dunno. He wants to give it back but I told him I didn't want it, but I'd give him all the money back he put into it.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe the carb need a sonic bath.
IMG_3269.JPG