Steam Locomotives and Such.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love railroad stuff in general, historical in particular. Another really cool train is the e7's and e9'r Norfolk Southern has restored, since they are diesel I won't post a pic here, maybe another thread...:)

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread. I still love to watch a train go by.

Yeah same here

Last year I was waiting too catch a train to the east at our main station
Around 6pm one evening and the loudspeaker came on saying
Keep back from the platform this train isn’t stopping on platform 6
And up through the station an old English Electric freighter charges
Through hauling wagons of spruce heading for the power station
Awesome it made my day

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Topeka Ks, Lower Silver lake road just to the west. that's my old run I was Engineer then MOP ( old Road Forman). 40 long years

Right on!
I was just east of the crossing.

It was funny we knew about it heading east bound then a week or so later I just happened to be outside and heard that whistle and jumped in the car and caught it!

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks is that a engine in the second photo on the left

No the engine on the left in the second picture that is sitting on the floor is out of a GE D9-40CW that is a 4000 HP engine, bit with the capability to be 4400 HP. All you have to do is flip the HP switch in the cab.

We run the at 4000HP because it's easier on the engines and don't wear out as fast. Although recently I've heard that they are having us flip the switches to increase the HP.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and another odd tidbit some what RR related. The print shop I work is called Mainline since its first shop was 50ft away from the Santa Fe mainline in Topeka. When we moved 15 years ago we still ended up across the street from the same line lol.

Oh and I live a few blocks from the BNSF shop in Topeka and a 1.5 miles from the UP line in town. There is two tight turns on the UP line going through town and at night you can hear them revving them biggins up leaving town.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No the engine on the left in the second picture that is sitting on the floor is out of a GE D9-40CW that is a 4000 HP engine, bit with the capability to be 4400 HP. All you have to do is flip the HP switch in the cab.

We run the at 4000HP because it's easier on the engines and don't wear out as fast. Although recently I've heard that they are having us flip the switches to increase the HP.

That’s a big engine and yeah there bound to want that extra power

A few years back had a friend who helped restore and old line that was taken up in the 70’s and they bought a couple of Tank locos fitted with rolls Royce diesels and he said they where fine on the small line but one was a roots blower
And the other was a mechanical turbo he said cos it was not a lot of high
Revving powerful work the majority of it was shunting and small extensions
The roots blower was bettter , cos the turbo engine would block up