Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
7:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rode the nickle nickel plate #765 around the horseshoe curve, that was pretty cool.

But I really like the PRR #1361, it was built at the Juniata Locomotive shop in which where I work. It is a slow process but they are rebuilding it again. It got a new boiler but the roof sheet is not up to the new regulations so that's the next step. I was fortunate enough to get some time working on it because this time around they said that they only want railroad workers to do the work. I haven't worked on it for quite awhile due to life getting in the way.

Thats damn cool! We need some pictures for sure, if its allowed.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats damn cool! We need some pictures for sure, if its allowed.

Do you mean pictures of the K4 inside of the shop that I work in or both? The K4 pictures that I do have was on an old phone and were lost. I haven't been over to the K4 project for about 3 years because it's on hold for funding. I do have some pictures from the inside of where I work that I could post. If you like let me know.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I visited Steamtown National Historic Site railroad museum in Scranton, Pennsylvania years ago. The tour was great. I could spend a few days there. They walked us through the machine shop and the chips off the lathe were the size of coil springs off a car.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you mean pictures of the K4 inside of the shop that I work in or both? The K4 pictures that I do have was on an old phone and were lost. I haven't been over to the K4 project for about 3 years because it's on hold for funding. I do have some pictures from the inside of where I work that I could post. If you like let me know.

Either would be great. Its not everyday you meet someone that works for the railroad in the shops.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I visited Steamtown National Historic Site railroad museum in Scranton, Pennsylvania years ago. The tour was great. I could spend a few days there. They walked us through the machine shop and the chips off the lathe were the size of coil springs off a car.

I need to get up there sometime. They have a large collection.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read that 3985 was going to be repaired by 2021. If they hooked the 3 of them together those track ties would be groaning.

When my brothers and I were boys my Dad would take us to downtown Toronto and we would sit on a hill above the marshalling yard and watch all the steam locomotives moving around. One end of the yard was all steam and the other all diesel. I'm guessing around 1957 - 58. Very close to the end of the stem powered units.

Those were great times.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a few pictures.

This is a GP59ECO Mother. It's being flown to a set of newly rebuilt trucks that our shop rebuilt. I helped design the layout of this series of locomotive. I work on the very first one and helped build about 15 or so before I bid out and went to the electric shop to rewind motors.
20150424_093504.jpg

Here is a view of flying a locomotive from the cab of the crane when I held the 200 ton crane operator job. Setting a GE Dash 8 locomotive onto it's newly rebuilt trucks.
381A0048.jpg

Here is a EMD locomotive that we redid for UP that a museum bought. I can't remember what museum that it went to thought.
20150522_171841_HDR1.jpg

Here's what I do now. This is an auxiliary generator for a GE locomotive.
20180511_122956.jpg

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a few pictures.

This is a GP59ECO Mother. It's being flown to a set of newly rebuilt trucks that our shop rebuilt. I helped design the layout of this series of locomotive. I work on the very first one and helped build about 15 or so before I bid out and went to the electric shop to rewind motors.
View attachment 172375

Here is a view of flying a locomotive from the cab of the crane when I help the 200 ton crane operator job. Setting a GE Dash 8 locomotive onto it's newly rebuilt trucks.
View attachment 172376

Here is a EMD locomotive that we redid for UP that a museum bought. I can't remember what museum that it went to thought.
View attachment 172377

Here's what I do now. This is an auxiliary generator for a GE locomotive.
View attachment 172378

Awesome! Keep them comming! I like seeing that kind of stuff. Steam or not its neat.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got one more 844 video that i had to record off my tablet since it didn't want to upload it today

We might of been a little to close to the tracks on this shot lol.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Western Mayland Shay 6 i shot in 2009.

I've never heard of a loco like that. Sheltered life and all.

Pretty neat machine.

As a railroad side bar, I hope whoever wrote this knows now that drugs are bad.

"The original Southern Pacific began in 1865 as a land holding company. The last incarnation of the Southern Pacific, the Southern Pacific Transportation Company, was founded in 1969 and assumed control of the Southern Pacific system. The Southern Pacific Transportation Company was acquired by the Union Pacific Corporation and merged with their Union Pacific Railroad. The Southern Pacific Transportation Company was the surviving railroad as it absorbed the Union Pacific Railroad and changed its name to "Union Pacific Railroad". The Southern Pacific Transportation Company is now the current incarnation of the Union Pacific Railroad."