Steam Locomotives and Such.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gotta get me one of those. How's the fuel mileage?

I think we have to open a FB page under Randy's name called "you saw it on facebook"

We could post all sorts of nefarious stuff on it.

Discuss.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man that's awesome! I'll say one thing that is and impressive beast and I think the engineer really likes to blow that whistle!

Joe, if you had a whistle attached to live steam, you would blow the hell out of it too!

I know i would!:D but of 6" 3 chime lukenhimer flavor. Or reading 6 chime. Hell, any of them would do!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man that's awesome! I'll say one thing that is and impressive beast and I think the engineer really likes to blow that whistle!

After the 844 accident last year Ed lays on that thing when people get closer than 25 ft. Where i was standing on the right side of the fence I was still closer than 25ft.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gotta get me one of those. How's the fuel mileage?

I think we have to open a FB page under Randy's name called "you saw it on facebook"

We could post all sorts of nefarious stuff on it.

Discuss.

50 gpm I've been told.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a good listen of Artie Barkley on WM Shay 6.

Yeah that sounds what you think whistle should sound like.

Got to see it come into Abilene Ks today! That it's a loud whistle! Thanks to Wayne for the heads up!
Yeah its unmistakable and unforgettable. When the 844 came through a couple years ago they didn't announce its return trip. I just happened to be outside and immediately hopped in the car and burned over to the tracks to watch it.

I feel this is one of those few things in life that give you that feeling of a kid again.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the tone of that whistle. Was that one of the places that you stopped at and took a video when you were on vacation or is that a video that you found?

I have shot alot of video at cass but this video is not mine. The video was taken in 1993!

No, we didnt stop there this round. :(

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About 5 years ago the family went up to Beeton to take a ride on those old Train. The 4-4-0 locomotive was built in 1883 by the Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works in NJ. They told riders to keep the windows up most of the way due to glowing cinders from the locomotive.
UP 119 at the Golden spike ceremony was built by Rogers

I asked one of the guys who maintained the loco's and rolling stock and those passenger cars weigh 64 tons each.

Last edited: