Steam Locomotives and Such.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took a ride on Saturday to break in my new ATV up a rail trail that once served Ontario's near north as the Grank Trunk Railway and then Canadian National. It's now a multi use Rail Trail. Really pretty country.

One of the locomotives that ran these tracks is in a park in Haliburton Village.

ALCO, Brooks Works 2-8-0 N-4 locomotive built in 1911 and retired sometime between 1952 and 1960;

20190914_114017.jpg

It once crossed this old bridge on the trail.

20190914_140847.jpg

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one will look familiar. It sits at the Toronto Roundhouse and was completely rebuilt and converted to oil just before it was donated to the The Toronto Railway Historical Association.

It's a shame it's not running but has been kept in good condition. Same Northern unit as the UP 844 but as "souped up". Apparently Canadian National had a huge fleet of them.

They are exploring ways to get it operational again.

Most if not all of the Canadian ones were built at the Montreal Locomotive Works or Canadian Pacific Angus Works which built locomotives for CP since 1913.

CN_4-8-4_at_Toronto.jpg

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's Alive!!!!!

Climax locomotive s/n 1551 finially under steam at the Cass Scenic Railroad. There are only about 3 or 4 of these locomotives operational inthe world.

This locomotive was aquired by the state of WV in the late sixties. Restoration began in 71. Was trapped in the shop fire in 72 and alot of stuff was lost or damaged in the fire. Then put on the dead line since. Restoration attempt #2 started in 2001 and now its back to new!

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always wanted to visit steam town but just never got around to. Definitely looks like a cool place to visit!

If you get a chance when you're in Altoona area this week you have to got to the railroaders museum and the horseshoe curve if you've never been to there yet!

Its a great place to visit Joe. You need to get out there! The little olive 0-6-0 in the last pic is live. You can see some steam venting out of the valve. They use that locomotive for short rides around the yard. The trolley we rode goes through the mile long tunnel and was definitely an experience to have.

Was planning to visit both of those tomorrow. Headed down to Hanover to the Utz factory this morning. Haven't been there since i was about 9 or 10!

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its a great place to visit Joe. You need to get out there! The little olive 0-6-0 in the last pic is live. You can see some steam venting out of the valve. They use that locomotive for short rides around the yard. The trolley we rode goes through the mile long tunnel and was definitely an experience to have.

Was planning to visit both of those tomorrow. Headed down to Hanover to the Utz factory this morning. Haven't been there since i was about 9 or 10!

That sounds like a good time! I could get into going to the utz factory, I love there products! Especially grandma utz handcooked chips!

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag