Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The West Somerset railway near me have 20 miles of track that are busy
Very popular they’ve just had a bonus this summer main line services are now using this track from the cities bringing people into the area and enjoying the Atlantic coastline

Downside is they’ve now got restrictions on what weight engines they can use
So some of the big locos and diesel classes can’t use it namely class 50 @Simondo

Steam has got a 60mph limit now on mainline with a diesel on the tail for
Emergency but there have beeen a few exceptions in diffferent parts of the country there've been a few old gals that have been allowed too Stoke there boilers up and open the valves a few reports of 92mph and a 94mph
Hell ya

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just came across this video today.

Edit: Just in case nobody realized it if you move your phone around like you're videotaping a flying bird you can actually look all around! I guess it's one of those 360° cameras.

Last edited:

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ummmm I just went to watch it through the post that I made and it's not working. Like it did if you get on to YouTube and pull it up. If you want that effect just pull up YouTube and watch it that way. Sorry!

Last edited:

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were you in the video?

Ok I had some time to really watch the video and hahaha moving my phone around like I was trying to take a picture of a fly. I was not pictured in the video I was the one actually running the crane flying the locomotive.

Now that I think of it I remember that they put those special cameras on the front back and sides of the locomotive that I was flying. They also had cameras setup on the crane itself.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
8:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I had some time to really watch the video and hahaha moving my phone around like I was trying to take a picture of a fly. I was not pictured in the video I was the one actually running the crane flying the locomotive.

Now that I think of it I remember that they put those special cameras on the front back and sides of the locomotive that I was flying. They also had cameras setup on the crane itself.

So indrectly then.:D thats some pretty cool work you do there!

Do they give tours of the shop? Ill be in Altoona the end of the month and love to see that stuff!

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So indrectly then.:D thats some pretty cool work you do there!

Do they give tours of the shop? Ill be in Altoona the end of the month and love to see that stuff!

Yeah I guess indirectly I was.

They use to do tours on family and friends day that would usually coincide with railfest. But sorry they haven't had any tours for about 3 years.

Maybe shoot me a PM when you get in town and we can meet up.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
8:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd pay to be a grease man for that trip.

Cab rides are the best! I took my Grandpa on his first steam locomotive ride last October. It was an awesome experience. The engineer even let us blow the whistle while we where chugging along!

Just look at the glow from the firebox!

IMG_20181003_111335.jpg

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cab rides are the best! I took my Grandpa on his first steam locomotive ride last October. It was an awesome experience. The engineer even let us blow the whistle while we where chugging along!

View attachment 199391

That Is awesome Steve the glow on that firebox is a memory right there

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 199391

That's awesome!

I was in the cab of a steam locomotive once. It was the Nickel Plate. Forget what the number is 8 something? But anyways when Norfolk Southern was having their employees appriciation steam excursions the trip that they took in my area went around the horseshoe curve.

They were storing it at our shop (Juniata Shops) and the started firing it up to build steam for the evening trip. Well a buddy that I work with was friends with the engineer (they worked together on the Pennsy K4s 1361 during the 1985 rebuild). So I got a first hand tour of the cab got to fire it but didn't blow thw whistle because we weren't supposed to be there and didn't want to draw attention. I would've loved to be in the cab while it was rolling down the tracks but wasn't able to.

Ok rant over.