Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 4014 just came through my home town minutes ago. I wasn’t able to go see it but I did hear it as I’m only a few blocks away and I was just getting home from work. My neighbor down the street got a video of it so I got to see it that way. I wish I would have know about it as my grandpa retired from the railroad

Check out the UP steam page and catch it on the return trip.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's no big steamer but me ad my wife went to the cog railway in Mt. Washington New Hampshire. Wow it was an awesome experience to say the least! The views we absolutely spectacular!

This was a picture at the bottom of the mountain before we boarded. 20190718_084149.jpg

Here's a picture out of the window as we were climbing the 37.5 degree grade. I tried to make the tree's level in the picture so you can see the grade!

20190718_091443.jpg

Here's a view at the summit blowing off some steam. Yup we're above the clouds today!

20190718_102041.jpg

A panoramic picture of the top. No sure how well you can view this one. This is just one of the many that were taken, to many to pick from so I just picked this one.20190718_093539.jpg

On the way back down the mountain it looks like the tracks just disappear! That's where the 37.5 degree grade begins.

20190718_112046.jpg

Weather you into trains old machinery or not it's definitely a cool experience!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's no big steamer but me ad my wife went to the cog railway in Mt. Washington New Hampshire. Wow it was an awesome experience to say the least! The views we absolutely spectacular!

This was a picture at the bottom of the mountain before we boarded. View attachment 191376

Here's a picture out of the window as we were climbing the 37.5 degree grade. I tried to make the tree's level in the picture so you can see the grade!

View attachment 191377

Here's a view at the summit blowing off some steam. Yup we're above the clouds today!

View attachment 191378

A panoramic picture of the top. No sure how well you can view this one. This is just one of the many that were taken, to many to pick from so I just picked this one.View attachment 191379

On the way back down the mountain it looks like the tracks just disappear! That's where the 37.5 degree grade begins.

View attachment 191380

Facinating how they build the boiler at an angle so the crown sheet and tubes are always submerged in water.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to ask why it was like that.
Thanks!

The shay locomotives all used extended wagon top boilers for the same reason of keeping sufficient water over the crown sheet on steep grades when the locomotive is faced downhill. I have a neat document here about WM Shay 6. It states even with a full boiler that 5 feet of the top row of tubes are above water level on a 10% grade nosed up.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This was a picture at the bottom of the mountain before we boarded. View attachment 191376

View attachment 191377

View attachment 191378

A panoramic picture of the top. No sure how well you can view this one. This is just one of the many that were taken, to many to pick from so I just picked this one.View attachment 191379

View attachment 191380

Wow! Thats a 73.7% grade! Makes a 7% on an interstate look like a chump!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 191377

View attachment 191378

View attachment 191380

Awesome!!!!!

I really want to take the Pike Peak rail sometime too.