Square chain chooses

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. Like said above,I'm gonna dive into the square squad and see what it's all about. Guess I'll be ordering some chain and a file.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where do yall order it from? I've been ordering chains from loggerchain.com. pretty good prices and usually have it in a couple days. No one has it locally

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
1:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where do yall order it from? I've been ordering chains from loggerchain.com. pretty good prices and usually have it in a couple days. No one has it locally

I get from there too. Then convert to square with a file, which is hard on 'em. I use my worse condition files for the conversion, then switch to better ones for the finish. If you are starting out, I'd buy a squre ground chain from someone in the group. It's easier to see and follow the angles that way.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get from there too. Then convert to square with a file, which is hard on 'em. I use my worse condition files for the conversion, then switch to better ones for the finish. If you are starting out, I'd buy a squre ground chain from someone in the group. It's easier to see and follow the angles that way.
I just bought a square ground chain and file from them. Who has them on here?

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Jason thought you were going to convert a round chain to square. Since the chain you got is already square ground, it will be easier to see the angles and place your file correctly.
I think one of the greatest tips ever, came from a @John Reilly video. He says you need to be the boss of the file. Not some wimp that lets it skate along and find it’s own track. That is where a good vise or a tightly held tooth will really help.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Jason thought you were going to convert a round chain to square. Since the chain you got is already square ground, it will be easier to see the angles and place your file correctly.
I think one of the greatest tips ever, came from a @John Reilly video. He says you need to be the boss of the file. Not some wimp that lets it skate along and find it’s own track. That is where a good vise or a tightly held tooth will really help.
I had the thought of converting some but that's why I bought a chain first just to see what is going on with it and to see if I'm going to like it before I get to far into it. And thanks for the tip.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought a square ground chain and file from them. Who has them on here?

Several guys have grinders, I don't have a list. I'm sure someone wood probably sell you a loop to see/study the angles. Sounds like you already have one though. :thumbsup:

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Several guys have grinders, I don't have a list. I'm sure someone wood probably sell you a loop to see/study the angles. Sounds like you already have one though. [emoji106]
Yes sir it's on the way. I got in a hurry lol

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got some EXL from a member, I believe he said about 26 plus ship for 93 dl converted to square ground.

If that helps gauge price.

Leeroy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I the only one to give semi skip a vote? Maybe I should convert a full comp and compare as it has been a long time, but IMO semi is as fast as full comp, doesn't save much on file time but it all adds up. Never liked full skip, especially limbing hardwood logs and trimming hardwood tops. I run 16" bars here in Southern New England, unless I am consistently cutting bigger wood then I'll run an 18 or 20.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a full comp square coming with a file. Should be here Saturday. Just wanted to see what it's all about and learn something. Cant find it around here, but I can always order more if i like it.