Split wood for owb

Hardhack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting Hardhack. What part of the country you located in temperature wise? What are you heating with your stove? I have two older farm houses on mine & a loop for domestic hot water in the milk house of our barn. I’ve never been able to get a year ahead on my wood. Do you feel like you burn a little less wood when it’s over a year old? It could make sense because of the energy wasted to evaporate water out of the not fully seasoned wood.
Upstate NY along the VT border Heat my 2500sf house and DHW I don't really burn less wood it just burns and heats better IMO.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do not like burning unseasoned wood. Here is my method, plus Wife has to fill stove once in awhile. Local person lost a finger throwing a large round into stove, that's why Woodmaster has a warning label on front of stove. Woodmaster dealer closed his doors over legal action taken against him. Super nice guy that went out of his way when I purchased my stove from him. Installed my own and he came over to make sure everything was working well and answer any questions I had. View attachment 98817 View attachment 98818
How many times a day do you liadnyour stove when it’s real cold???

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been using my Hawkins stove for 4-years now....I have heard many ideas on loading the stove here is what I have found works best for me.....I split my wood into manageable size pieces....I like to be able to pack my stove full when it’s teally cold like when it’s 5-degrees or lower....big pieces are fine and dandy, but I can pack more in when the wood is split....

I also burn different types of wood depending on the temperature....when it’s over 20-degrees I burn softer stuff maple, walnut, and some ash....when it’s 10-degrees it lower I start getting to the oak, hickory, and Osage.....I also load my stove 2-times a day, when it’s in the negatives I may check it 3-times just to be safe....I Always get paranoid when it’s that cold, I have a 2-1/2 year old little girl and a pregnant wife so they are #1 priority always!!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am looking at getting a owb and suggestions it will be heating a 16x 80 single wide
If I was you heating that area I would personally put a stove in the house.....

If you are dead set on a OWB, do some reasearch see what will easily heat your square footage....

I wish a inside stove would have worked for me, but I have 2-story and probably 2500 sf....

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If I was you heating that area I would personally put a stove in the house.....

If you are dead set on a OWB, do some reasearch see what will easily heat your square footage....

I wish a inside stove would have worked for me, but I have 2-story and probably 2500 sf....

I have wanted a inside stove but the trailer is not laid out right for a stove its pretty cut up the rooms are small. I don't think It would heat the house very efficiently Not to mention I would have to hire 2 people to put the stove in. One to cut the whole in my roof and another to keep me from getting up there and kicking him off my roof. LOL

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I split anything over 6".
For some reason, my OWB does not like big unspilt rounds, the split woods burns better.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mostly burn seasoned wood. If some green wood gets loaded into my wood truck I don’t throw it off at the pile just to reload dry stuff.

I can split 50” and only split it so I can handle it. I love my CB 6048 it’s been completely trouble free now for 10yrs.

EB3F403F-44A3-46B4-A205-BC76F096AE28.jpeg