Nice. Not bad at all then. [emoji106]

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I burn about 10 cord per winter, i have about 80' of pex buried.
Nice. We have a total of about 440' of thermapex buried between the three buildings the stove supplies heat to but unfortunately we burn over 30 cords of wood annually . I fear I'll never be on a three year plan.:(

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always loved cutting firewood& still enjoy it but I never feel like I can get ahead on my supply. I also feel that whenever I have any spare time I should be at the wood pile. It just sorta took some of the fun out of it over the years. Maybe I'm just getting old!:buenrollo:

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm right there with you! I am getting on in years myself. When I was younger I didn't mind the wood furnace chasing my wood pile all winter. I remember cutting wood in the rain and snow, cutting under lights hanging from a step ladder. Now I just make sure I have it all done before the first snowfall. Now its just trudging through the snow to the shed, throw a load of wood in the firebox, trudge back to the house, kick off the boots, pour a hot cup of coffee for my wife and me, and watch the snow fall.

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh, and one reason I can get my wood cut sooner now is that I finally learned how to tune a saw and sharpen a chain properly. Now cutting wood is fun! No more blue bar rails, clogged air filters, etc. When I think about how I used to run my saw I get embarrassed. Not sure how I ever got any wood cut back then.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A
I'm right there with you! I am getting on in years myself. When I was younger I didn't mind the wood furnace chasing my wood pile all winter. I remember cutting wood in the rain and snow, cutting under lights hanging from a step ladder. Now I just make sure I have it all done before the first snowfall. Now its just trudging through the snow to the shed, throw a load of wood in the firebox, trudge back to the house, kick off the boots, pour a hot cup of coffee for my wife and me, and watch the snow fall.
Amen brudder!!

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn't mean to get off subject but when I saw this was about outdoor woodburners I thought I might get some clues from others on how they tend there stoves. For usi cut most everything 23" or so my woodsplitter will handle up to 24". I tend to split anything the diameter of a telephone pole or larger. If it's that size or slightly larger I split in half if signicantly larger I quarter them. My wife has a bad shoulder from milking cows most of her life & I have had lower back issues( probably like everyone who has heated with wood:)) so it's just easier for us. I am certain we go through even more wood by splitting it into smaller pieces however it just seems to work better for us. Unfortunately because of the volume we go through our wood is never cutt & split more than 4-6 months before we burn it so I not truly seasoned.:(

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I built that lift out of necessity, I am looking at 58 trips around the sun and big wood has been finding me and I can't handle it like I used to. I gave up on the three year plan a long time ago.

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah the only "seasoned" wood I get to burn is what's left over from the previous year in my shed. That wood gets burned first.....which gives the new stuff an extra few weeks to dry. Not usually a problem....just not ideal! As I continue to hone my process I hope to reach a point where I can, exclusively, cut my wood a year in advance! It'll be a race between my aging body and my acquisition of equipment and storage!

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah the only "seasoned" wood I get to burn is what's left over from the previous year in my shed. That wood gets burned first.....which gives the new stuff an extra few weeks to dry. Not usually a problem....just not ideal! As I continue to hone my process I hope to reach a point where I can, exclusively, cut my wood a year in advance! It'll be a race between my aging body and my acquisition of equipment and storage!
Yeah storage is another thing. I want to put it as close as I can to the stove . Last year I had some room in the barn to put some but that became a nuisance once the snow came trying to get the wood from the barn to the stove.:frown:

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not sure if it was here or another site, I seen a guy made face cord racks that he could move with the loader tractor. We never have enough storage near the stove but the racks could be a way to extend the drying time. Being able to store them away from the stove and wheel up one or two racks every week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not sure if it was here or another site, I seen a guy made face cord racks that he could move with the loader tractor. We never have enough storage near the stove but the racks could be a way to extend the drying time. Being able to store them away from the stove and wheel up one or two racks every week or so.

That sounds like a really good idea

Hardhack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been burning my Central Boiler CL-40 since 1998 burnt green wood, semi seasoned wood (cut in the spring for that winter), seasoned wood cut, split and stacked one year or more. I prefer wood that is seasoned one year or more get the best burn times from that. Go thru about 10+/- cord.
I split everything to about 6" splits.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been burning my Central Boiler CL-40 since 1998 burnt green wood, semi seasoned wood (cut in the spring for that winter), seasoned wood cut, split and stacked one year or more. I prefer wood that is seasoned one year or more get the best burn times from that. Go thru about 10+/- cord.
I split everything to about 6" splits.
Interesting Hardhack. What part of the country you located in temperature wise? What are you heating with your stove? I have two older farm houses on mine & a loop for domestic hot water in the milk house of our barn. I’ve never been able to get a year ahead on my wood. Do you feel like you burn a little less wood when it’s over a year old? It could make sense because of the energy wasted to evaporate water out of the not fully seasoned wood.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

a few guys near me use the frames from "water totes" take out the plastic tub and the frame is ready to load. pallet forks and lift away. one less step.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I burn about 10 cord per winter, i have about 80' of pex buried.
Running 70 ft of pex wiff a natures comfort GT6000 epa phase 2. Domestic hotwater eats up ALOT of wood! I burn tween 14-24% moisture(dry wood).
Im 5 hrs south of you and I burn 20-25 cord in 7 months, heating 3200 sq. ft..

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tend to be OCD when it comes to faarwud. If I have less than 40-50 cord sitting on the property I tend to panic! I cut all winter during layoff, weather permitting. But 2+ft of snow and -14f on jan 2nd has me wondering when am I going to get to run saws..

Last edited: