Split-Fire 3465 Test Drive

Gravitas

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one of the local equipment guys who is the area rep for Split-Fire bring a unit out to the farm for me to play with last week. When I look at splitters, even though I usually just end up kicking tires as Randy keeps me saw poor, the Split-Fires always are in consideration. The trouble with that is, I have never been able to lay hands on one as nobody stocks them around here.

Well, Doug was more than happy to bring a shiny new 3465HT with log lift out for me to scuff the paint up on. I have to say, I was surprised by how compact it was and by how well it did with what I considered a small power unit in the form of a Honda GX200. This model had a 24" stroke. Most of my wood is too long to fit, but I did have some twisted white oak I had cut a little shorter that would just fit between the abutments. Only time I was able to stop it was with a 23" long double trunk crotch that I went right at the center of with the four way. I think the 2-way may have popped it first attempt. I backed the wedge out, lined up a more reasonable split and it chewed it up just fine.

Cycle time was good, splitting two ways is certainly a time saver, log lift wasn't touchy on the lever, over all, a very fine unit.

I have him pricing one out in a 36''stroke with the high flow kit and the tounge extension for better clearance behind the Rhino.

Question for you hydraulic experts, would increasing the size of the power unit do much for me, say going to a GX240 or GX270?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a 4290 a while back, it is a 24" model and rated at 32 ton. Just a single wedge. so far so good. I imagine if you need more tonnage, that will entail a bigger pump and engine.

Can you snap a pic of the log lift mount? I believe mine has been rigged previously.

Gravitas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Red,

Apologies brother, I broke forum rules and did not take any pictures while the machine was there. Two kicks in the sack for me I guess. I do know some guys add the log lift after the fact, maybe that was the case with yours?

As to tonnage, the high flow kit is supposed to take it up to the same GPM as the 4290/4490 like you have. The only difference then would be the engine, GX200 standard vs. the GX270, which I have asked about upsizing, and the cylinder, 3.5" vs. 4.5". Not knowing the formulas on how that all works out, I know while it may not make the 32 tons yours does, it would have to make more than the standard 3465.

Supposed to hear back from the rep today about my questions/changes.