High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Spark screen replacement?

Comprodigy

OPE Member
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have been wondering if anyone has found, or researched a way to remove the spark arrester screen on a saw, and replace it with something else that will do the same job but allow more flow? I was thinking about those metal scrubbies a lot of people have in their kitchen... there are a couple different types, and so might one of them work better? I’m not talking about the SOS type pads or steel wool, though they may work if properly “fluffed”.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe @Mastermind puts in a screen that is more coarse. Maybe McMaster Carr or Grainger has it. I wrote down what he used, but as usual, I have lost that notebook!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just pull them out,no screen .You couldn't set the woods afire in Ohio short of a napalm drop .
I must admit that I have removed a few without replacement, especially on line trimmer mufflers. Spark screens on line trimmers clog up so badly that the engines won't even run, primalrily because they don't get very hot on LTs. Chain saw engines generally get hot enough to burn them out and unclog them.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure this is #20 stainless mesh. It's a lot more open than stock screen but still has some spark arresting ability.
89f93a7f6bd051e6be2b67fa59165d82.jpg

Comprodigy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying to use the internal space to create a wider area for the exhaust to flow through some sort of arrester. This way it would increase flow but still have the protection.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy mine off eBay. #8 stainless is the size I believe. Lots of different sizes available,most is made and shipped in USA. Just watch who it’s shipped from,I screwed up last time and got some from China to restock supplies and by the time it got here I had forgotten it was even coming lol.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy mine off eBay. #8 stainless is the size I believe. Lots of different sizes available,most is made and shipped in USA. Just watch who it’s shipped from,I screwed up last time and got some from China to restock supplies and by the time it got here I had forgotten it was even coming lol.
I buy from the same seller all the time. He never lists the #14 until I tell him what I want then he lists an auction for me. If it's #8 those holes would be very large.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy from the same seller all the time. He never lists the #14 until I tell him what I want then he lists an auction for me. If it's #8 those holes would be very large.
Yes sir it’s pretty big. #8 035 Im gonna try some smaller stuff next time.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m thinking of trying some 12-14 size stainless mesh