huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not that it probably matters much to this group but I thought I read somewhere that to work on government lands you had to have a spark arrestor. Do they restrict the screen size too?
They are required for use on public lands. But I'm not sure if the more open screens qualify for it. Around here, it's not worth it (cutting on state land). I keep my screens on to keep corn out

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spark screens do two things. One is that they keep burning bits of carbon from starting forest fires and the other is that they keep things out of the engine. (mud daubers, other bugs, etc)

The large spaced screens will accomplish the second purpose but will not meet the criteria of the first as fairly large particles can go right on through. In my area of the country, it's rarely dry enough that a chainsaw spark would start a fire. The bugs and other things though are a serious threat to a saw and thus retaining spark screens is a wise choice. If you cut on public lands in arid parts of the country, it's likely a big holed screen would not pass muster if your saw was inspected.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Spark screens do two things. One is that they keep burning bits of carbon from starting forest fires and the other is that they keep things out of the engine. (mud daubers, other bugs, etc)

The large spaced screens will accomplish the second purpose but will not meet the criteria of the first as fairly large particles can go right on through. In my area of the country, it's rarely dry enough that a chainsaw spark would start a fire. The bugs and other things though are a serious threat to a saw and thus retaining spark screens is a wise choice. If you cut on public lands in arid parts of the country, it's likely a big holed screen would not pass muster if your saw was inspected.

I dont have see any forest fire starting from the chainsaw muffler, so the epa emissions fairy tales must stop , the same saws in europe are without spark screens you thing that the europe dont care for the forests ?

Pioneer Perry

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I prefer to use screens to keep stuff out of the engine, As far as fire here in the Pacific south west it's dry as hell and fire has been started by weed eaters, auto exhaust systems, they even blame them on firearms. Not my saws.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I muf modded my first saw with no screen. It was then the first saw I ever fully rebuild thanks to a mud dauber nest. I have since rebuilt a nailer, riveter, and a mower thanks to the little buggers. Mine get a screen. I like the stuff you found perry.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like how much you take care for the enviroment .

forests fire from a chainsaw mufler :risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3:

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dude... Get enough...

I caught a log on fire one time with a modded poulan 4000 muffler. It was a very rotten soft spot. I saw the smoke and put it out. If I hadn't? Who knows.

We get you're anti screens and we all suck and are big wussies for using them.

Pioneer Perry

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I asked for advice on screen size, gauge, ect. I said nothing about screen less, epa,
If you think forest fires are a joke let me remind you that people die here lose homes and livelihood. No joke just fact...

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The spark arrestor screen on a saw does restrict the flow, but if you are going to cut on public land like National forest or BLM land then you by law have to have a spark arrestor in the muffler. The size for the spark arrestor has to be small enough to block anything that is .023" or larger . If you are running a screen that is larger than that size then you might as well not run one at all. I cut in national forest every year and have a legal size spark arrestor screen in the saws that I use there even if they have been muffler modded. It is my understanding that they do have a way of checking the size of the screen.

Last edited:

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut in several National Forests here in Idaho. Here are a couple requirements they have in there permit brochure for Idaho.
(I also cut in Oregon but I can't find my brochure at the moment)

ba46b4e525ccd0564c01d06b984afa7e.jpg

3c893a59656ab0a522b2d3bfd5e725d1.jpg

They are required for use on public lands. But I'm not sure if the more open screens qualify for it. Around here, it's not worth it (cutting on state land). I keep my screens on to keep corn out
I cut in several National Forests here in Idaho. Here are a couple requirements they have in there permit brochure for Idaho.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ba46b4e525ccd0564c01d06b984afa7e.jpg

3c893a59656ab0a522b2d3bfd5e725d1.jpg

Around me (but not everywhere in MI ), state land mainly consists of low lands surrounding prized rivers. It largely consists of softwoods. And you can only cut what's already on the ground. And you can't drive off the trails.

I have a few privately owned areas with respectable hardwoods, so I opt to cut there instead.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I asked for advice on screen size, gauge, ect. I said nothing about screen less, epa,
If you think forest fires are a joke let me remind you that people die here lose homes and livelihood. No joke just fact...
I leave in a country with temperatures over of 40 celsius and with the most fires in europe.
let me know better who is responsible for theese fires , and here peoples lose homes
be sure that the chainsaws or trimers are not

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around me (but not everywhere in MI ), state land mainly consists of low lands surrounding prized rivers. It largely consists of softwoods. And you can only cut what's already on the ground. And you can't drive off the trails.

I have a few privately owned areas with respectable hardwoods, so I opt to cut there instead.
Oh i hear you. Here in Idaho in the National Forest I cut in has a few cutting rules, like no cutting within 300 feet of perennial (flows year around) rivers, creeks or streams. No cutting within 150 feet of a intermittent stream. You can't skid logs You cant get off the forest service roads and beat the brush to get your wood.

Now Oregon on the other hand is a freaking joke when it comes to rules and regulations! You almost have to have a degree in order to know and follow there recommendations!

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tip of a BIC ball point pen shall not pass through the screen. That is how the DEC conducts their field test in NYS.
Or so I’m told...