Spark Plug With / Without Resistor

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My whacker uses an NGK plug with an "R". If I find the same plug number without the "R", is it the same specs? I always thot it was the same.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read an old post somewhere in here, it was said non-r plugs can be bad on some ignitions.
My friends 2095 that was giving spark fits is coming back. First thing I'm going to check. It's worth a cheap trick.

aljewett

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leon recommended a non-R plug for my Pioneer 11-30. A very slight improvement over the R version, but I still can’t get a continuous bright spark. Grrrr.

bretts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good info here.
I generally run non resistor plugs, on some saws using a resistor plug I have noticed not a very good spark. I change it for a non resistor plug and then it has a nice fat blue spark.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good info here.
I generally run non resistor plugs, on some saws using a resistor plug I have noticed not a very good spark. I change it for a non resistor plug and then it has a nice fat blue spark.
So which plug gives you the best spark?

aljewett

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The non-R plug gave me just ONE spark while I spun the flywheel with a drill. I removed the coil to take some readings; 0 ohms on the primary and 10M ohms on the secondary. I may have found my problem. Sooooo, anyone out there have a spare coil? Looking for one off of any of these saws;
VI-123, XL-101, XL-102, XL-103, XL-113, XL-122, XL-123
TIA
AJ

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

At the moment the spark jumps the gap it causes a high frequency burst of energy, known as RFI (radio frequency interference). RFI, as its name suggests, creates static on your radio and interference with other electronic equipment, including the vehicle’s on-board electronic control units (ECUs).
Resistor plugs were developed in the 1960s to suppress some of the spark energy, thus lowering RFI to an acceptable level. Most resistor spark plugs use a monolithic resistor, generally made of graphite and glass materials, to filter the electrical voltage as it passes through the center electrode.
Since resistor type plugs actually “resist” some of the spark energy, non-resistor type plugs actually deliver a more powerful spark. It is for this reason that most racing plugs are non-resistor types. However, in most automotive applications, a resistor plug is required for proper vehicle operation. Use of non-resistor plugs in vehicles that call for a resistor type can result in rough idling, high-rpm misfire, and abnormal combustion.

Generally a resistor spark plug will not cause a noticeable difference in spark energy to affect performance. Where it will matter is when the ignition system is weak - which is not the case anymore with CDI and transistor type ignitions compared to the old mechanical points and whatever they used in OPE before the electronic revolution - or when there is high compression. I'm pretty sure higher compression requires more spark energy compared to lower compression, I don't remember if leaner or richer mixture requires more/less spark energy, relatively speaking.

--- > https://www.denso.com/global/en/pro...d-accessories/plug/basic/spark/condition.html

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

At the moment the spark jumps the gap it causes a high frequency burst of energy, known as RFI (radio frequency interference). RFI, as its name suggests, creates static on your radio and interference with other electronic equipment, including the vehicle’s on-board electronic control units (ECUs).
Resistor plugs were developed in the 1960s to suppress some of the spark energy, thus lowering RFI to an acceptable level. Most resistor spark plugs use a monolithic resistor, generally made of graphite and glass materials, to filter the electrical voltage as it passes through the center electrode.
Since resistor type plugs actually “resist” some of the spark energy, non-resistor type plugs actually deliver a more powerful spark. It is for this reason that most racing plugs are non-resistor types. However, in most automotive applications, a resistor plug is required for proper vehicle operation. Use of non-resistor plugs in vehicles that call for a resistor type can result in rough idling, high-rpm misfire, and abnormal combustion.

Generally a resistor spark plug will not cause a noticeable difference in spark energy to affect performance. Where it will matter is when the ignition system is weak - which is not the case anymore with CDI and transistor type ignitions compared to the old mechanical points and whatever they used in OPE before the electronic revolution - or when there is high compression. I'm pretty sure higher compression requires more spark energy compared to lower compression, I don't remember if leaner or richer mixture requires more/less spark energy, relatively speaking.

--- > https://www.denso.com/global/en/pro...d-accessories/plug/basic/spark/condition.html

If you use non resistor plugs and low resistance wires with a MSD ignition it will melt the rotor.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
are you being serious?