Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
3:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your a brave man, to run that saw wif no gloves. Surprised you hands could still type tonight as sharp as them plastics are.

With as agressive as that chain was, surprised it didn't rip the tank clean off!!

:risas3:

Thanks for posting up.

I'll be running the 036 when I get home.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your a brave man, to run that saw wif no gloves. Surprised you hands could still type tonight as sharp as them plastics are.

With as agressive as that chain was, surprised it didn't rip the tank clean off!!

:risas3:

Thanks for posting up.

I'll be running the 036 when I get home.
You home yet

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
12:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a great thread Joe. I realize it's an older build. Have read through it a few times now. Noticed the 620p coil was used for the reason it's unlimited (easier tuning). Curious how the 620 coil compares with stock 590 coil as far as advance curve. Would a mild ported 590 benefit from .015 removed from the key?

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After doing a bit of work on the 490, muf mod, exhaust port, upper transfer shaping, gasket delete I'm very impressed with the torque. For fun I even ran a 24" 3/8 on it. It really shines with a 16" b&c and 72lgx.

Anyway, I have no Mills, lathes, right angle grinder, garage.....maybe half a brain. So my plan for the 590 is Im thinking of widening exhaust as close to 65% as piston skirt will allow, lose the base gasket, smooth any cast defects etc. Port match ex gasket and muffler(already has muf mod, limiters trimmed). Would there be any benefit to widening the intake?
Any thoughts? Criticism? Better ideas? Sasquatch stories? Thanks guys. Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge. Helps make my saws more gooder again.

Last edited:

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After doing a bit of work on the 490, muf mod, exhaust port, upper transfer shaping, gasket delete I'm very impressed with the torque. For fun I even ran a 24" 3/8 on it. It really shines with a 16" b&c and 72lgx.

Anyway, I have no Mills, lathes, right angle grinder, garage.....maybe half a brain. So my plan for the 590 is Im thinking of widening exhaust as close to 65% as piston skirt will allow, lose the base gasket, smooth any cast defects etc. Port match ex gasket and muffler(already has muf mod, limiters trimmed). Would there be any benefit to widening the intake?
Any thoughts? Criticism? Better ideas? Sasquatch stories? Thanks guys. Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge. Helps make my saws more gooder again.

620 has about 8* more advance.

.015 ought to be close to enough. Not sure I would buy the 620 coil again.

Sounds like a good plan with what you have to work with.

Think the 590's need the exhaust raised. But without dropping the cylinder you lose compression.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
620 has about 8* more advance.

.015 ought to be close to enough. Not sure I would buy the 620 coil again.

Sounds like a good plan with what you have to work with.

Think the 590's need the exhaust raised. But without dropping the cylinder you lose compression.

Thank you Joe. Your input is very much appreciated!

Was there any down side to the 620 coil? Perhaps just not enough improvement vs cost of coil?

Sounds like I may be better off leaving the exhaust timing stock vs raising and losing compression? Guessing I'm only going to gain 5-10 psi with the gasket delete. Sound about right?

Last edited:

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Joe. Your input is very much appreciated!

Was there any down side to the 620 coil? Perhaps just not enough improvement vs cost of coil?

Sounds like I may be better off leaving the exhaust timing stock vs raising and losing compression? Guessing I'm only going to gain 5-10 psi with the gasket delete. Sound about right?

No downside to the 620 coil. Just expensive.

I would probably just bring the exhaust back up a bit. Widen, and call it a day.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No downside to the 620 coil. Just expensive.

I would probably just bring the exhaust back up a bit. Widen, and call it a day.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks again for the input. Hope your enjoying the memorial weekend.