Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well Better get this done before the holiday season is upon us. and to see if my 590 is just a freak :D

Have all the parts but this is where I started taking pictures.

Yummy... Smoked. Not quite sure where the issue started. for it to be the brake set, they had to run darn near a full tank through.. Clutch springs stretched out

The oil pump drive is a metal worm, with metal tangs molded together with a plastic "fuse"

Well it worked. melted and fused to the crank, with the brake set saw was locked solid.

The plastic fuse held up pretty well to tear up the oil pump.

Tag on the handle said scored from raw gas, not sure that is the entire issue. still had 115 psi. I think it was limiters and the brake/oil pump fiasco that did this one in.

Piston marked at tdc plan on taking .035 off the base. matching the squish band to the dome on the piston.

Going to split it, new bearings, seals, 620 coil. Pretty sure the jug will clean up fine. have a good oem piston and new rings to use.

Not sure what numbers I want to use yet, just have to see where things fall after machine work is done.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the potential recipient's of this saw, what would you like to see out of it??

Want to get some ideas flowing.

Care if it is obnoxiously loud?

So far this is the benchmark.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the potential recipient's of this saw, what would you like to see out of it??

Want to get some ideas flowing.

Care if it is obnoxiously loud?

So far this is the benchmark.

I say, put the "wow factor" in it. Personally, I don't like a loud saw. There is a point you make more power, then you are just making noise.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Old bearings didn't look/feel bad at all, but getting replaced. Ill keep em as spares.

Pressing in new bearings.

Bearings installed. You can see the steel sleeve bearing pockets. Didn't want to heat the pockets, to not disturb the pocket fit.

All together, cleaned and new seals.

Jug cleaned up really nice.

According to my mark on the scored piston, I have about .050 to the top of the bevel before free port, approx. .070 total. Plan on taking .035/40 off the bottom.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Before we start throwing around numbers, what does this saw degree at stock? What do the port widths measure? What is the intake shaped like?

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I will echo Joey when he said go for the "wow factor"! I think to get the wow factor, a guy has to pay close attention to the details. To understand how the saw runs stock, and what the engineers started with. How tight is the case, what's the bore vs. stroke, what's the port timing, how are the ports shaped, what does it look like when the piston at BDC?

In the quest for knowledge and maximum performance, a person has to test and tune, test and tune, and on and on.

These 60-ish cc saws are the core saw for a firewood gatherer. They need to shine in 16" wood in my opinion. Good acceleration, good torque, good rpm In the cut!

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before we start throwing around numbers, what does this saw degree at stock? What do the port widths measure? What is the intake shaped like?

78,113,130 squish .043
With gasket

Rather large intake port, (smallish boot)
Large main transfers with a pinch point at the turn, entering at a 45* towards top of the chamber.

Tiny flat secondaries.

Exhaust it rather small 50% range.