Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d like to have one of those bars

I dig Solo's previous bar. For some reason they look real nice IMO.

Curious to see what's new with these saws.

This does explain why I can't get my hands on one at the moment. Everyone keeps telling me they are backordered.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dig Solo's previous bar. For some reason they look real nice IMO.

Curious to see what's new with these saws.

This does explain why I can't get my hands on one at the moment. Everyone keeps telling me they are backordered.

Same sort of story I’ve been getting but hopefully by Christmas something will happen

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi all, just have a few questions and observations as I try to educate myself on SOLO's.

What's the connection to Dolmar/Makita? Did Dolmar and Solo combine on the 7900 series type of saws?

Interestingly, SOLO NZ claim to be a subsidiary of SOLO in Germany, and they are selling saws directly on our online auction website here. It seems like they are either trying to sidestep the wholesale/dealer model or trying to have their cake and eat it too. I find that interesting.

What's the connection between AL-KO and SOLO saws? Are the former just SOLO's Chinese-origin saws they don't want associated with the SOLO name?

thanks for any help understanding all this.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pretty sure only maybe a couple low end models are Chinese made. The 665-681 series is all German made.
Thanks. Have done some more digging. Probably not news to any of you but I'm way down the learning curve. AL-KO, a German company of something like 80 or so years, bought Solo in 2014. AL-KO makes all sorts of things like car axles and other parts, to air conditioning units and garden tools/equipment like lawnmowers.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Have done some more digging. Probably not news to any of you but I'm way down the learning curve. AL-KO, a German company of something like 80 or so years, bought Solo in 2014. AL-KO makes all sorts of things like car axles and other parts, to air conditioning units and garden tools/equipment like lawnmowers.

If they hadn’t bought them they probably would have went out of business is my guess.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If they hadn’t bought them they probably would have went out of business is my guess.
I wonder if they are using NZ to experiment with the distribution channels and this is why they are happy to try selling direct through their NZ subsidiary. I can't see such a strategy endearing Solo to retailers though. Perhaps they tried supplying retailers and couldn't make it work so are now trying direct.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if they are using NZ to experiment with the distribution channels and this is why they are happy to try selling direct through their NZ subsidiary. I can't see such a strategy endearing Solo to retailers though. Perhaps they tried supplying retailers and couldn't make it work so are now trying direct.
Are the new solo models out yet? Or you guys still on the previous line?

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Are the new solo models out yet? Or you guys still on the previous line?
I don't know what's new and what's not. They are selling the 6-series Solos here. I was quite taken by the 681 but need another saw like a hole in the head.

Are the 6's the latest series?

Was also thinking maybe their Chinese AL-KO's might be good options for farming friends who don't use a saw much but still want something that's got a warranty and at an OK price. Was wondering if they were zenoah-ish.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like they are selling the older 6-series, not the new editions.
https://www.solonz.co.nz/products/catalogue/pro-chainsaws

Maybe they are using NZ to clear out any excess stock? How do the prices compare to anywhere else?
E.g. the 665 is approx' US$1020 including taxes.
SOLO665_1080x810c0pcenter.jpg

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag