High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Solar Kiln - Ideas and Pictures

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
9:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I thought really hard about building one of these when I was first starting out. But, I still haven't gotten around to it. I've been storing all of my lumber in my garage, which as it turns out, wasn't too bad of a spot. It's uninsulated, all wood construction, and one of the garage doors usually stays open while the weather is nice and someone is at home.

However, I've heard that well insulated, metal sided buildings are NOT a good place to store dripping wet lumber, like oak. That is, unless you enjoy the sort of "character" that a "patina" of rust brings to your nice new $30,000 building.

For me to consider it at this point, would have to depend mostly on how much drying is required vs how much time I have before I need to use it.

But I'd be very interested to see what you come up with, if you do! :)

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some guys use old boat trailers and cover them with dark 7 mill plastic and have a fan of some sort running.....

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I thought really hard about building one of these when I was first starting out. But, I still haven't gotten around to it. I've been storing all of my lumber in my garage, which as it turns out, wasn't too bad of a spot. It's uninsulated, all wood construction, and one of the garage doors usually stays open while the weather is nice and someone is at home.

However, I've heard that well insulated, metal sided buildings are NOT a good place to store dripping wet lumber, like oak. That is, unless you enjoy the sort of "character" that a "patina" of rust brings to your nice new $30,000 building.

For me to consider it at this point, would have to depend mostly on how much drying is required vs how much time I have before I need to use it.

But I'd be very interested to see what you come up with, if you do! :)
I am at the same juncture. I keep my lumber stacked in my basement which is dry and I always run a dehumidifier. My boiler is down there too, so it's really dry down there.

I am thinking I want to build a kiln because I don't really want to wait the full 12 months or so per inch of air dry time. I definitely want mine to be movable too so that if I move or want to take it to a place where I'm milling at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20 foot shipping container.
Vent it down both sides on the floor level.
Onion spinner vents on the top.
Paint it dark.

8-10 weeks for 15% wood is what it takes here.

Tried and tested.
Great idea but I don`t think that someone in Indiana is going to get the same temps/weather that someone in Costa Rica gets so the time to dry may be lengthened quite a bit. I may be wrong...

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not the weather, it's the insulation and color.

In the winter in wisconson or wherever they came up with the solar kiln, they saw temps upwards of 120 and 25 outside.

Hammered

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Great idea but I don`t think that someone in Indiana is going to get the same temps/weather that someone in Costa Rica gets so the time to dry may be lengthened quite a bit. I may be wrong...

It would be a summer only deal up there.
If you wanted to do cold weather work I guess you could incorporate some sort of heat.
Wood stove inside might be a bit risky though LOL.
It wouldn't be hard though to cut a hole and have a exterior door for wood stove and keep the hotbox inside.

Boiler tube the interior would be ideal.
Big bucks though.

2 grand for a sacan.
6 old tires 4 corners and the center as you footings filled with cement
Onion spinner roof vents. 50 bucks each.
Good old wood stove.
Some kind of fans to get air moving.
Paint it dark green or black. 5 gallon bucket.
My guess is 4 grand total and you could have your own kiln on site that is bullet proof and last 20 years plus.
Sorry about not posting photos.
The laptop they are on, screen is toast and I can't get at them.

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be a summer only deal up there.
If you wanted to do cold weather work I guess you could incorporate some sort of heat.
Wood stove inside might be a bit risky though LOL.
It wouldn't be hard though to cut a hole and have a exterior door for wood stove and keep the hotbox inside.

Boiler tube the interior would be ideal.
Big bucks though.

2 grand for a sacan.
6 old tires 4 corners and the center as you footings filled with cement
Onion spinner roof vents. 50 bucks each.
Good old wood stove.
Some kind of fans to get air moving.
Paint it dark green or black. 5 gallon bucket.
My guess is 4 grand total and you could have your own kiln on site that is bullet proof and last 20 years plus.
Sorry about not posting photos.
The laptop they are on, screen is toast and I can't get at them.

It's not a warm weather only thing, look at some on you tube. 120 inside 20 outside, all solar.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see this is an older thread but I'm hoping to build a kiln next summer for finishing off material. I've spent lots of time researching and from what I've come up with is you should really air dry large slabs for awhile to let a lot of the moisture out. Then finish in the kiln because pulling moisture out to fast will make slabs split and twist more then drying slow.