HLSupply Chainsaw Parts Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

So you want a ported chainsaw.....

Discussion in 'Builders Review' started by Definitive Dave, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Mastermind

Mastermind Knocker Of Farts Staff Member

I'll do that.

Definitive Dave likes this.
  2. Definitive Dave

Definitive Dave turf enthusiast

I thought i had posted reviews of a bunch of my ported saws at one time, but i cant seem to find them, I was hoping to type less :)

Toad22t and Termitebuffet like this.
  3. drf256

drf256 Giant Member (and Fartknocker)

Great subforum.

The integrity of a builder is hard to quantify in words alone.

"The customers always right" plays a role here.

It would be very meaningful for customers to post what happened when things went wrong and how it was handled. I feel that might be more valuable to know than when things went well. As long as it didn't deteriorate into a war between the porter and the customer-but that's the only way the truth can be found, both sides speaking.

jacob j., Onan18, Toad22t and 5 others like this.
  4. RIDE-RED 350r

RIDE-RED 350r Pinnacle OPE Member

Interesting things talked about here.

I don't know about any blanket warranty on modded saws. Modifying a saw voids factory warranty and we all know that. Generally speaking and not in any way implying anything negative about peoples' work on saws here, but it's a general truth that when hopping up any internal combustion engine you pay some level of price in longevity of that engine. Doesn't matter if we are talking saws, ATVs, sleds, cars, dragsters, etc. You are making that engine turn more RPM, create more heat, and more power than it did in stock config. Granted, we can take measures to mitigate a good deal of the additional heat and wear, but in the end it is what it is.

Whatever the policy/agreement is between the builder and the customer, it should be crystal clear from step one, and maybe even in writing with a signature from both parties.

Eddie Sanders has been building hot rod Honda 250r's and a whole plethora of big bore kits and accessories for quite a few years. I have one of his big bore kits on one of my ATCs. With his big bore kit was included a sheet with some valuable information for the customer. Some of which included mix ratio, mix oil type, coolant mix ratio, fuel requirements, break in procedure and jetting tips..along with a few other things. I think this is a good way to help ensure customer satisfaction with the build and may help reduce operator error/customer abuse when it comes to hot-rodding saws for people. Make the recommendations crystal clear and briefly state the reasons for said recommendations. Include this information/instruction sheet in the box with every saw shipped back to the customer. Include it in your web page if you have one. Maybe a recommendation of new crank seals, fuel delivery components and carb kit would be a good baseline recommendation before porting a saw?

As to warranty, I'd say 30 days and only if a problem is determined to be the fault of the builder. I am not a builder but I have worked in the service industry and have witnessed absolute ineptitude on the part of the customer being the sole cause of failure. The customer in fact is NOT always right and it is not right to bankrupt a good builder due to customer error or abuse. Maybe an inspection of a failed saw by an unbiased and reputable third party to determine the cause of the failure and that party should be compensated for his time..by the customer if it is determined to be operator error and by the builder if determined to be builder error.

It's hard to hammer out a fool-proof policy, but if adults act like adults on both ends, it is reasonable to expect that bad deals and wars should be fewer and farther between.

My $0.02

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  5. Mastermind

Mastermind Knocker Of Farts Staff Member

Damn good post.

6. RIDE-RED 350r

RIDE-RED 350r Pinnacle OPE Member

Thanks Boss :)

Once in awhile, something resembling a coherent thought escapes my cranium :D

rocketnorton and Definitive Dave like this.