Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could be convinced to step aside.

Ol Mastermind has been doing this over ten years now.......

you are still an apprentice Took me 20 years as a mechanic to get a Dr certificate or at least that's what the old wrench turners would tell me , now I am one of those old guys and I can spew the BS they use too lol

Shane10

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been fixing automobiles for about 25 years. It’s all I’ve ever really done. Took a job as a welder for about 8 months. Now I’m all certified and am well aware of how little I actually know about cars. When I was 18 I knew everything. Oh and I hack the living hell outta my chainsaws in my spare time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
retiredsign-jpg.220443

That's lovely, I see there are T-shirts that have that printed on them, I'm going to have to get me one.

12 years in retirement, last job incarnation was as a barrister (trial attorney), I got to the point I was willing to tell a judge to go fork himself (got close to it, never did, but the judges knew what I meant).

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worked for my old man for bout 25years family owned sawmill it all started with my old man ripping out 900 railways sleepers with an 090 in the mid 80's.
From there he got a Buzzsaw to cut sleepers and slowly got better gear every year up to a sawmill with a few million in gear. In the mill we could cut about 250 sleepers a day.
I've been out of the timber industry bout two years is the best life has ever been all the aches and pains are gone I can reach down and take my boots off at the end of the day with ease nowaday's!
We cut timber for the Railways bridge timbers and railway sleepers hundreds of thousands of sleepers over the year's.
Not a job for snowflakes was hard getting young workers towards the end young guy's are to busy on there Ph not interested in working not that they could do any kind of hard work a lot of em! lol
I was a Sleeper Cutter a dieing breed now days.
3 (2).jpg 5 (2).jpg 1 (6).jpg

The bush used to be full of Sleeper cutters with Buzzsaws many moons ago.
This is a old pic of a sleeper cutter using a Buzzsaw to cut railway sleepers.
20200127_230232.jpg

Last edited:

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As we're neighbors, I was gonna see if you wanted to carpool, or more accurately truckpool to Mastermind's most recent GTG, but I saw where you got called in to work so I didn't bother you. I'm planning to go again this fall if things work out.
Absolutely we can ride together this year if I can get the time off. I fear with all three hangar floors being ground/sanded down, re-painted/re-striped with epoxy-based paint...one dock at the time (10 hangar docks total across three hangars), we’ll be behind the power curve as fall sets in this year, getting C-17’s out for FY-20. Right now we’re behind a little with the floor contractor work going on, but not too bad. Sometimes it’s hard to play catch-up in this business.

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In real life I'm in my 27th year as a warehouse manager at the company I've been at for 36 years.

My job prior to this was cutting, splitting, and delivering firewood. I've done a fair amount of towing & recovery along the way.
Figured an update is in order. Next month I'll hit 40 yrs with the company. As of today, I'll be out of work at the end of June. Our facility is being shut down and most production being sent to China. A few of our older, "legacy" products are being EOL'd (end-of-life). This was originally announced last September and I was told I'd be done October 31st. That got extended to December 30th, and then to June 30th.

When our customers heard about the EOL status they went bonkers as we're a sole source for many products. Many went right to the CEO of the corporation and he "suggested" to local management that we continue production for another 6 months. It's possible that we'll get another extension because we currently have a backlog of almost 9 months, with more orders coming in every day.

I'll be 60 in March and am petrified about future employment opportunities. A grew with this company and climbed the ladder, so to speak, without a college degree but with a tremendous amount of sweat equity and hard work. That means squat out on the street. Heck, I've NEVER even been on a job interview!

Too young to retire and I really feel legitimate opportunities (especially salary) will be few and far between. I can draw my pension but only at 60% value so that's not an option. I'm really praying that something is done to prolong operations...

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Figured an update is in order. Next month I'll hit 40 yrs with the company. As of today, I'll be out of work at the end of June. Our facility is being shut down and most production being sent to China. A few of our older, "legacy" products are being EOL'd (end-of-life). This was originally announced last September and I was told I'd be done October 31st. That got extended to December 30th, and then to June 30th.

When our customers heard about the EOL status they went bonkers as we're a sole source for many products. Many went right to the CEO of the corporation and he "suggested" to local management that we continue production for another 6 months. It's possible that we'll get another extension because we currently have a backlog of almost 9 months, with more orders coming in every day.

I'll be 60 in March and am petrified about future employment opportunities. A grew with this company and climbed the ladder, so to speak, without a college degree but with a tremendous amount of sweat equity and hard work. That means squat out on the street. Heck, I've NEVER even been on a job interview!

Too young to retire and I really feel legitimate opportunities (especially salary) will be few and far between. I can draw my pension but only at 60% value so that's not an option. I'm really praying that something is done to prolong operations...

Good luck man!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That sucks.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sorry man can't like that. That sucks it's all corporate greed at it's finest. You should feel very fortunate that you've been with a company for 40 years, that's a rarity now a days.

I wish you the best that your company may see the error of their ways and stay open and realize that people want an American made product!

Good luck man and I hope that it all works out for you!