So does anyone fish or just nah???

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
10:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I opened up the boat yesterday to start getting it ready. I have a battery trickle charger i put in the boat last year so i could top up battery without pulling it. Went to plig in and noticed the connector had coroded. Then checked the connectors for the electric downriggers and they coroded too.

Any idea as to why they would have corroded? Is it from the battery?
From what i could tell the battery didnt leak and heck it even held a charge all winter.

The rigger connector i noticed my last time out last fall had a bit of corosion but i really never thought much of it.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working on a boat right now. I hope to be posting up some fish pics soon. Word around here is that there are a lot of squids in the water this year....can't wait!

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I opened up the boat yesterday to start getting it ready. I have a battery trickle charger i put in the boat last year so i could top up battery without pulling it. Went to plig in and noticed the connector had coroded. Then checked the connectors for the electric downriggers and they coroded too.

Any idea as to why they would have corroded? Is it from the battery?
From what i could tell the battery didnt leak and heck it even held a charge all winter.

The rigger connector i noticed my last time out last fall had a bit of corosion but i really never thought much of it.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

A ton of reasons, besides the obvious, that connections and terminals corrode in boats.

The best corrosion controls are tinned marine wires and terminals, good ventilation (to include storage areas and battery boxes) even when covered to prevent humidity buildup, anti-corrosion coatings and always checking batteries to ensure they do not leak gases. Regular automotive grade wire will always corrode.

Theoretically, having high quality grounds and connections throughout the boat helps in controlling corrosion. Also, having only your mains connected directly to the battery is better for preventing corrosion.

I've heard of many people that use vaseline at connections to help control corrosion. Otherwise, you can get some special products that prevent terminal corrosion at auto parts stores.