63823_106698639394056_596802_n.jpg

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a wild guess.....turned two log chains into solid RODS on this operation. They were sparking as that truck started to move. I pulled Truck 5 up out of a ditch.....it was never the same...:) When I first got there, those lights looked like one of those WW2 spot lights looking for bombers.

plowtrk21-donnyditch.jpg

taplinhill

Hiding behind the Chainsaws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a wild guess.....turned two log chains into solid RODS on this operation. They were sparking as that truck started to move. I pulled Truck 5 up out of a ditch.....it was never the same...:) When I first got there, those lights looked like one of those WW2 spot lights looking for bombers.]

Nice pics Walt! This one is from "back when we used to get snow", as the old timers say. My dad took this picture standing in our door yard as the town truck was coming up the road. c.1972

img082.jpg

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is you wing front mount or mid mount? I’ve been trying to get out guys to get us on with a high benching wing post like yours but they won’t. Too many trucks get stuck that way, they say.
Front mount and you can also raise the braces in the back to keep the "down" angle & therefor pressure on that wing. Really effective all the way to about window height. I've shelfed like that for more than a decade and the highway department for decades before that. That arraignment also helps keep the truck from getting hung in the ditches as the wing has all the pressure both up and to the side to keep it out. I never got stuck. Felt it going in ( feels like your beginning to tip over ) but just mashing that throttle and steering out of it has kept me from making that embarrassing call. Did that for 15 years. Night shift. All by your self in the middle of nowhere often. :) So really don't buy the the "stuck" issue unless you don't have aware drivers. Guess if you try hard enough, you can drive it into a ditch.. THE new trucks with the power angle plows are another story. They simply suck for shelfing. I always preferred the big "one ways" .

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice pics Walt! This one is from "back when we used to get snow", as the old timers say. My dad took this picture standing in our door yard as the town truck was coming up the road. c.1972

View attachment 172580
Love it, been there done that! Always fun. And we didn't even have the big snow....the big wind and drifting did it for us. I've had the snow come over the plow and bust the rotary light off the cab...its pushed off and fell right by the driver side window...was a bit of a surprise! All tired and at about 1:00Am then BANG! truck veers off to the left and all this flashing light everywhere. Woke pretty fast!

AND the new trucks...was buried like that in a big drift two winters ago, just chugging along and the truck decided it was time for a "regen" ( Those 2010 complaint burned / particulate filter deals ) THAT must of sounded fun over the radio to every one buy me that night.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love it, been there done that! Always fun. And we didn't even have the big snow....the big wind and drifting did it for us. I've had the snow come over the plow and bust the rotary light off the cab...its pushed off and fell right by the driver side window...was a bit of a surprise! All tired and at about 1:00Am then BANG! truck veers off to the left and all this flashing light everywhere. Woke pretty fast!

AND the new trucks...was buried like that in a big drift two winters ago, just chugging along and the truck decided it was time for a "regen" ( Those 2010 complaint burned / particulate filter deals ) THAT must of sounded fun over the radio to every one buy me that night.
( Could do plow stories for pages....but this is a saw thread and an end of winter thread )

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Front mount and you can also raise the braces in the back to keep the "down" angle & therefor pressure on that wing. Really effective all the way to about window height. I've shelfed like that for more than a decade and the highway department for decades before that. That arraignment also helps keep the truck from getting hung in the ditches as the wing has all the pressure both up and to the side to keep it out. I never got stuck. Felt it going in ( feels like your beginning to tip over ) but just mashing that throttle and steering out of it has kept me from making that embarrassing call. Did that for 15 years. Night shift. All by your self in the middle of nowhere often. :) So really don't buy the the "stuck" issue unless you don't have aware drivers. Guess if you try hard enough, you can drive it into a ditch.. THE new trucks with the power angle plows are another story. They simply suck for shelfing. I always preferred the big "one ways" .

I currently work for my Highway Dept. The only benching wings we have are on graders and our old Oshkosh 4wd trucks. I think we have 20 or so in our fleet. And as far as getting stuck with the truck. Too many inexperienced drivers reaching too far to “push ‘em back”.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I currently work for my Highway Dept. The only benching wings we have are on graders and our old Oshkosh 4wd trucks. I think we have 20 or so in our fleet. And as far as getting stuck with the truck. Too many inexperienced drivers reaching too far to “push ‘em back”.
I retired April after 15 years of it. They had three graders, all had wings. I spent two years with one at the air port we have here keeping things clear. We had a pair of 4wd plow trucks like the Oshkosk, never used them and got rid of them years back because the new configuration worked and was more flexible for other things as well. All the plow trucks there were heavy tandems. 46 rears, 20 or 22 fronts. Over 400hp with 18spds, the latest pushing 500 with Allisons. My last truck was in the 475 range with an Allison. Had one ways with wings from a variety of vendors. Everest, Viking/Cives etc. For years I was on hookup crews where we pulled dump bodies and put on sander bodies, now they either have those all in one boxes or inserts in dump boxes. My last two plow trucks had the drop in sanders. AND it all works. Certainly there were things to complain about but equipment wasn't one of them! We actually have snow too. boxonboom.jpg

Last edited:

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Second to last truck...the one I had winter of 2015/16 and 2016/17, was really nice for shelfing and did with that truck! Had a lot of the back roads that went north/south right near banks or farm fields. Shelfing was simply what you had to do.
truck2.jpg

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have any pics because I was driving but my son and I just saw at least 6 pairs of swans on a side slough down in the Palmer Hay Flats area between Anchorage and Wasilla

It has been 45-50 during the day for well over a week and there is zero snow left in that low-lying area

Lots of snow still up on the mountains and anywhere that hasn't gotten sunlight yet

Its even 50 degrees up in Fairbanks and the snow is melting up there

It's not that weird to have a chinook wind and a spring thaw and that is usually followed by a spring storm or two and new snow into late April or early May

My question is how the hell did those swans figure out there was open water up here already

It's a month early for them

Weird weather all around

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
5:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wait until June, when all the snow melt comes out of the rockies from the plattes. Epic snow up there this winter. You will have flooding again.
You may be right, but it may be "isolated" to the Missouri river. This hit all the rivers in Nebraska, two in Iowa and the Missouri. At least 70 counties were clobbered in both states and nobody had ever seen anything like it. They are talking well over a $billion in damage. Reconstruction may last several years.

Walls of water broke loose carrying thousands of tons of ice. Dams, levees, and spillways failed like toys. Floods have no mercy.