Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy Ya'll!

Got in a couple 572's and wanted to share Husky's new box design. I'm sure many of you are waiting for this saw to arrive in North America, so I wanted to go ahead and reveal the new box designs so everyone can see what Husky is offering the 572 in. Or, maybe some of you guys are getting other saws in these boxes already, so maybe old news, but here goes anyway....

Not a good change IMO. Well, at least not for me, as I can't ship saws to and from the US in these boxes alone. I'm sure saw builders will also not want to trust these boxes for their shipping purposes. They are very thin at about half the cardboard thickness of a Stihl box. They are also oddly shaped. The odd shape looks cool, but doesn't do any favors for shipment, as I don't think they stack well, which would make them prone to falling. Last thing I want is mine, or someone else's saw, falling around in shipment.

The handle on the clutch side is pressing directly against the cardboard when the saw is in the box. IMO leaves that part of the box susceptible to damage. And, we all know what happens once the box is damaged.

What are you guy's thoughts?

IMG_20181024_100742.jpg IMG_20181024_100751.jpg IMG_20181024_103756.jpg IMG_20181024_103805.jpg IMG_20181024_104627.jpg

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The boxes are probably specifically designed to match up to each other well for better loading on a skid to dealers. Will be hell on the dealers shelves and likely won’t fit well in the display shelves of the big box stores. I hope for their sake this isn’t an across the line up change.

Nothing gets my warehouse guys more riled up than odd shaped boxes that don’t fit on the shelves well.

They were pretty pissed at me earlier this week when we got a bunch of 6 and 8 foot boxes that needed homes. The rafters are pretty high up...

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The boxes are probably specifically designed to match up to each other well for better loading on a skid to dealers. Will be hell on the dealers shelves and likely won’t fit well in the display shelves of the big box stores. I hope for their sake this isn’t an across the line up change.

Nothing gets my warehouse guys more riled up than odd shaped boxes that don’t fit on the shelves well.

These do pack together nicely, Gary. Separately they are a pain. Also, for my guys that are wanting full wraps, these boxes are completely useless.

Leaves me dumpster diving to find boxes that fit these saws. Which I don't mind, but now is the rainy season and boxes just don't last long in the rain.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could give a rats ass what the box looks like, as long as the saw is unharmed when I buy it. I'm sure they are flipped and stack fine when strapped together and shipped. Factory isn't shipping single saws so that should be no concern to them. Is there any other stuffing material in there that you already pulled out for the pic?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would expect the factory to ship however many fit on a pallet good. I'm thinking that this is more than a normal people box and much to do with what this is all about in the first place. What then after the distributor gets them and ships one, two, three or how ever many small dealers all across the country are going to be ordering at a time? Are they going to be issued a second box to put them in to send out? That or I see damaged handles coming in droves and I'm not even a mystic.
It's good on Dan to not ship these across the pond in this manor and kudos to him for having more sense than Husqvarna.

Maybe @Spike60 and/or @Jon1212 could shed some light on this better than we can speculate.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could give a rats ass what the box looks like, as long as the saw is unharmed when I buy it. I'm sure they are flipped and stack fine when strapped together and shipped. Factory isn't shipping single saws so that should be no concern to them. Is there any other stuffing material in there that you already pulled out for the pic?

I suspect no packing material other than the box itself. The Stihl boxes get all the support from the box itself and it is well engineered to protect the saw, each flaps folds a specific way designed to hold the saw in one place within the box. About the only area I add anything to is the area in front of the spikes, I feel the can use a little reinforcement.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These do pack together nicely, Gary. Separately they are a pain. Also, for my guys that are wanting full wraps, these boxes are completely useless.

Maybe not. Not sure if this will work with the 572, but on the 562's I remove the original handle and can fit the wrap in the box loose, (not on the saw). Have to remove the top mount also.

These boxes are better for the saws in transit. Better cardboard and they don't allow as much movement inside the box.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These boxes are better for the saws in transit. Better cardboard and they don't allow as much movement inside the box.

These new boxes average right around 4mm thickness and are pretty flimsy. I just shipped one of the old boxes to Japan with packing material to protect the saw and brown paper outside.

I would never attempt that with a box like this. I happen to have the Stihl competitor here at the moment and their box measures 6mm thickness.

There is quite a bit of flex in these new boxes, which why I chose to write the post. Less movement for the saw, but the box is actually flexing around the saw.

Recoil side of the box normally. Minimal pressure with my index finger and I'm touching the recoil.
IMG_20181024_184826.jpg IMG_20181024_184833.jpg

No reinforcement to protect the parts of the saw that are exposed to damage during shipping.
IMG_20181024_184903.jpg

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, stihl might have a better box. What are we gonna do now? Don't let @MustangMike or @RI Chevy find out about this. They will seize upon it to prove every point they've ever tried to make over the last ten years. LOL

Banter and BS aside, when something's good we gotta say it. And, when something is poopoo, we gotta say it too. No dogging on the brand from me, and no denial to save feelings.

To me, an ugly baby is an ugly baby, even if it's my baby! I own plenty of both brands, and I've never cut a tree down with a box. Maybe some of the pulpwood trees I used to cut made boxes, but that's a whole other story.

My point here was to let folks know what might be happening. And, I would say that's far more than Stihl and Husky are offering at the moment.

Both companies are playing marketing "peeky boo" at the moment IMO.