Smoking bar/chain

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
MS261 C
16" Stihl E Bar 3/8 .050 Oregon semi chisel. All in nearly new shape. Maybe 20 tanks on the pair.
Using green bottle box store bar oil.
It can be seen flying off the tip on cardboard. Definitely getting oil to the bar.
When I'm felling, using the dawgs and applying pressure, smoke comes off the bar. When I let pressure off and let it self feed, no smoke.
The bar oil seems thin. Do I need a thicker oil, better technique or something else?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MS261 C
16" Stihl E Bar 3/8 .050 Oregon semi chisel. All in nearly new shape. Maybe 20 tanks on the pair.
Using green bottle box store bar oil.
It can be seen flying off the tip on cardboard. Definitely getting oil to the bar.
When I'm felling, using the dawgs and applying pressure, smoke comes off the bar. When I let pressure off and let it self feed, no smoke.
The bar oil seems thin. Do I need a thicker oil, better technique or something else?
Show a pic of those cutters. Maybe the chain isn't as sharp as it should be.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Winter bar oil and some thinner bar oils do that sometimes too

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Green bottle the Itasca? I've used it before and it was good for me.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's making noodles in softwood.
Chain is good to go. I'm going to change brands of bar oil and see what happens.

Is the chain self feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is the chain self feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, no smoke when I let it self feed.
I only see smoke when I apply pressure such as when I'm felling, using the dawgs to kant. I think the bar oil is burning off.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, no smoke when I let it self feed.
I only see smoke when I apply pressure such as when I'm felling, using the dawgs to kant. I think the bar oil is burning off.

If a chain is cutting right I’ll have to have slight pressure to keep it being too aggressive, if you’re burning off the bar oil it’s too light or chain is dull and from look at the rakers of the safety chain you’re really laying into it to make it cut.
3757b86d0fef885f5577e82bc38a1173.jpg

This is harvester chain but about the same thing just a different raker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A video helps a lot with these kinds of things...

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the oiler turned up all the way? Oil can fly off the chain when revving it at the minimum oil pump setting once the chain gets soaked. If the chain is too tight (hard to turn by hand) it can easily heat the bar a lot. Also dogging it puts more load on the saw which tightens up on the chain adding friction to the sprocket tip and the side of the bar that is doing the cutting. Maybe file the depth gauges a little to help it feed faster with less pressure. Touch up the sharpness before each day of use.

Oil near its boiling point can evaporate easily into smoke as it is slung off the tip at high speed. I'd use normal (non winter) Husqvarna/ TSC County Line oil, it clings on very well. I think canola oil tolerates high heat, but it is also very thin.

Sometimes you just need to let it cool for a few seconds, and rev some extra oil on the bar.

You could clean out the sprocket tip bearing occasionally to reduce friction from sawdust and burned oil that might collect in it. I soak them in WD-40, then use a compressed air blow gun to spin the sprocket really fast, and that tends to sling out the dirt. Grease afterward.

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the roughly 10 tanks you have ran the chain, have you touched the rakers yet or just filed the chain and left the raker height alone? I think your pushing the saw through wood to compensate for rakers not biting enough wood. When you use your dawgs....its causing excessive heat. That could be a dull chain, it could be raker height to high. I don't think bar oil viscocity is your problem.