High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Smashed, Seized and Neglected Clamshell/Homeowner saws

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have always been working on small engines and welding at home, now that I am more knowledgeable about saws people bring those here too, I almost always turn them away, I have rebuilt some for friends and neighbors but quickly started saying no. I have accumulated a few of these and turned down many, don't need 'em don't want 'em no space or time for that chit.

These are mostly small Husky's and Stihl's, it would cost more than the saw is worth to have the dealer fix it,
I don't want to do it......blah blah blah.

Do you guys run into this? Do you keep 'em? Parting them out on eBay seems like a pain in the ass.

dmb2613

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the 1127 and 1123 series I will build They are god saws for the money

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I repair quite a few these clam shells saws. Most of the time it fuel related like carburetors and fuel lines. Yes when comes the scored pistons and cylinders they are usually are too costly especially when you are working on a 150 usd retail chainsaw. Just got to use common sense and know when to call it. I have rebuilt a couple Poulan 4218 chainsaws. but they were for my own use and I upgraded them to the more expensive versions. IE better pistons and cylinders. On the homeowner versions most manufactures are not even offering PNCs anymore opting to attempt to sale short blocks instead which put the repair costs at or above the cost of a new unit.

When I take one these saws in for repairs I let the customer know upfront that if I see going to more 50% of the replacement I will not proceed with repairs unless they approve it and that if it is the PNC that it is better to just replace the saw.

The only problem I have with Stihl saws and trimmers now is Stihl got greedy and barred Zama from selling the carburetor repair kits through the distributors. Now the kits costs nearly 4x for me to purchase thru Stihl dealers instead the Zama distributor. On top of that my local dealer charges $20 just to order the kit because they don't stock them.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what carb was you needing a kit for? i keep a book on newer carbs to kits for stihl and also on mower belts lengths lol

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got an year old technical reference guide with the PNs up to 12/2018. I had to find one as the local dealer could only find the GND kits. I even snag me a dealer price list recently where I could reprice my Stihl SKUs upload locally. Very useful to me as it allow to load 11,800+ part numbers, descriptions, cost, and my retail prices quickly.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the husky clam shell are unfixable. The other half of the plastic shell warped and just won't seal anymore.

thesawincanada

For the love of saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m rebuilding an ms 390 for a customer. A farmer to be exact. Saw was in really bad shape. I could only save the crank and some of the plastics. I really don’t like these series of saws. I tell all my customers if they are buying a new saw to save up some more money and buy a pro saw model. But then again they last so much longer and easier to repair if you have the right tools.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It can get old ,freebies that is .Had this bone head have my wifes cousin bring over a Mac 650 .Looked good ,funky carb .No biggie ,rebuilt it .How much,5 bucks for the carb kit 12 pack of Bud for the mechanic .
That joker sold the thing,sent me over two more ,no 5 bucks no beer .Those two junk saws have been in my shed for ten years ,I won't touch them .

thesawincanada

For the love of saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That story sounds to familiar, myself with weed wackers and snow blowers. For a few beer.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually get stuck with free cheapo mowers by family and friends who legitimately think they are doing me a big favor. They usually dont need too much to get going again, but would still cost more to fix than I could sell them for. So, they just sit there.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It can get old ,freebies that is .Had this bone head have my wifes cousin bring over a Mac 650 .Looked good ,funky carb .No biggie ,rebuilt it .How much,5 bucks for the carb kit 12 pack of Bud for the mechanic .
That joker sold the thing,sent me over two more ,no 5 bucks no beer .Those two junk saws have been in my shed for ten years ,I won't touch them .

That story sounds to familiar, myself with weed wackers and snow blowers. For a few beer.

I’ve had friends come round, with a different weed wackers, to be told they'd be given it and can you fix it.. I fix it, normally bad fuel, carb tune and new plug..& air filter.

And never ever see it again,,, I know they got it fixed for a friend and made a few bucks for themselves, I should have charged more. :BangHead:

Or it is their non working wacker, and they sell it after you fix it. And buy a new one, but usually they buy a crap replacement .:bash:..

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got known for being able to tinker with saws, so I became the agencies saw mechanic unofficially. That crap lasted about three months and told them to take it to the dealer! 90% was fuel related, the other 10% was operator error starting those damn ms250s. They would flood them immediately.

I was able to get most everyone switched to pro grade saws now though!

thesawincanada

For the love of saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m trying to get my guys to all switch to pro saws. I love working on them vs the plastic crap. I try to sell the pro saw idea every chance I get. They last longer for them and more durability