Small sawz, what's muh options?

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont keep up with the current model saws that are out there, hell I hardly even run saws. I went from having over a dozen runners to only 3 currently that have been ported by good friends of mine. A Zoo City 262 (@Termitebuffet) @Red97 Echo 6700 from the build thread and my 365 Special done up by @super3

Obviously nothing I have has been current at least in this decade, so I am out of the loop on the new saws.

I'm in need of a light saw. My grandpa has been having awful back problems and pain this past summer. His biggest passion in life is up-keeping his property to make any property you see featured on HGTV to shame along with up-keeping the trails in his woods and keeping his shooting lanes open for deer.

He does it all with one saw, a 034 that he bought new when he bought his property. He is at the point where that saw is to much for him, but he's to stubborn to quit using it. The only way he's going to quit using it is if he has another option, I want to get him a new saw.

So what are my options on a new saw for him. The saw has to be
Under 10#
I also dont want this saw to be a clamshell. I would really like to get this ported in the future because he is always grabbing my saws when I go to give him a hand.

What's muh saw?

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW, I am the one buying this saw for him. I would personally prefer anything besides Stihl, but if they have something thats "never been done before" I may have to reconsider.

I am not sure I could stomach walking into my local stihlership.......

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW, I am the one buying this saw for him. I would personally prefer anything besides Stihl, but if they have something thats "never been done before" I may have to reconsider.

I am not sure I could stomach walking into my local stihlership.......
Hi i'm a long time reader first time poster.

I really like my echo 490 after trying mine one of my friends had me order him one.
After a simple muff mod of the removal of the carb limiters and the tube in the muffler.
And enlarging the exhaust opening it's a good runner.
Some guys are porting them with good results.
303.00 shipped ebay.
Probably one of the best deals out there along with the 590 of course.

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the newer machines, I'd suggest a 346XP NE ... or a Dolmar 421 ... or a smaller Echo (can't beat a 5 year warranty) ...

On older machines, I'd lean toward a Poulan 25CVA (little saw with big stones) .... a Shindaiwa 488 ... Husky 346XP OE

Just my $.02

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar 421s are nice.

I have zero Dolmar dealers around here that keep anything in stock. Are these clamshells? I dont have any IPL's for Dolmar.

I looked on their website and it looks like they are about a pound heavier. I know after adding a bar, chain, oil and gas it'll be closer to 13-14#...

On the newer machines, I'd suggest a 346XP NE ... or a Dolmar 421 ... or a smaller Echo (can't beat a 5 year warranty) ...

On older machines, I'd lean toward a Poulan 25CVA (little saw with big stones) .... a Shindaiwa 488 ... Husky 346XP OE

Just my $.02

I love Echo, for buying a new saw I would prefer buying Echo over anything else. But from what I see everything Echo has to offer in the small CC range is a clamshell.

How bout a husky 550?

To heavy. I had one and I am afraid its a little to much for him.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
7:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ross, yes I wear creamsickle coloured glasses but have you checked out the Tree Monkey 241 thread?

You could probably have a new ported 241 in your hands from Scott before the 15th of October.

Failing that the one small saw everyone seems to rave about is thw Dolmar 421 / Makita DCS4300 or whatever is it called. You don't need a dealer just call Carl Miller and again have it ported before you receive it. I'm pretty sure they are mag case pro style construction.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the intended owner in mind and the fact an 036 is to much saw/weight, I think a super light pro saw is in order. My pick would be a Mtronic MS201 rear handle with 14"/16" Light bar running 3/8 050 Picco Super. That saw will be super light and very capable cutting <14" wood on his trails. I have one, expensive...yes but if he needs a really light non clam shell pro saw, its very hard to beat. I can use mine for hours & its so easy to use.

brad ruch

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe a husqvarna 545.10.8lbs 50.1cc mag cases autotune carb.I have one and love it..

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk