Skip vs Full... Let's discuss...

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I've heard this from a LOT of people about how less filing on a skip chain which I can agree with but I can't help but think about the logic. Guys come in "I only want skip so I don't file as much!" Each cutter is going to cut 'x' amount of wood. If you run skip obviously its going to have less cutters so yes in theory it does take less time to file.

Ok this is where my thinking has taken me (scary I know) but if you are running skip vs full in my theory wouldn't you be filing more often so in theory you will spend the same amount of time filing for the overall span of a work day?

Let's hear it...

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it would depend upon your filing routine. If you're a couple swipes every tank of fuel type then you'll be filing 1/3 less cutters every tank so should spend less time filing. If you're a file when it gets dull type then the debate would be does skip dull faster than full comp? I tried to quote another thread with a similar discussion happening, but apparently that's not an available feature of the forum so I'll do it the ol' fashioned copy and paste way.

@srcarr52 said 'I'd go with full skip with either 3/8 or .404. Full comp won't be any faster or last any longer and it has that many more teeth to sharpen when it's time.' As well as 'Yes, more clearance for chips. Often on long bars skip is faster because it has more room between cutters to evacuate the chips so more cutters are actually in contact with the wood and not held back by the chips from the previous cutter.

So if more cutters are in contact with the wood one would think initially that it should dull faster. After thinking about it longer I realized those teeth are are likely still cutting the chips which are keeping them from cutting the wood you are really trying to cut. There is also probably more heat being created from the added friction and longer cut times which could also contribute to faster dulling.

I'm no expert though, just my own thoughts on the subject. I did just get some 32" skip oregon chain to try and will report back. As a hand filer I do like the idea of less cutters on those longer bars to file. We obviously need some more thorough testing on the subject @Redbull661. I believe in a recent test he found semi skip was the fastest if I remember correctly? In my mind the less time in the cut for the same wood the longer it will stay sharp and if that is the chain with less cutters then there is certainly less time spent filing.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chain depends on what wood type and what you want the chain to do ,full skip is good for softwoods ,the wider space clears softer chips better ,where full comp may be better for harder woods or limbing stuff where you want more cutters not to be as grabby .lot of variables ,shorter bars 25 and under may be better for full comp so get less kickback ,28 and longer less cutters will also help an under powered saw pull a longer bar better without stalling out .Just because one guys 661 pulled best in a test with half skip does not make it the all best chain for everything ,in my eyes it is an all around chain ,has some skips to clear chips and some extras to smooth out limbing . Work and cutting cookies in a test is 2 different things .

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your talking about 32+ bar length I'll take skip any day. Less filing for sure, I don't notice it gettin dull faster than full comp. full comp can't clear the chips like skip.

Guys think their saw is badass cuz it can pull full comp in 42" wood. When really half the cutters are ridding the chips out instead of cuttin

Cobby08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I go for the two swipes routine but I wasn't sure if you would notice it getting dull faster enough to where you should be filing before the second tank.

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've heard the less filing thing before, more often it is recommended for wiener saws to pull a few inches more bar.
The full comp not clearing chips is half assed, a sure sign that filing knowledge is lacking.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard the less filing thing before, more often it is recommended for wiener saws to pull a few inches more bar.
The full comp not clearing chips is half assed, a sure sign that filing knowledge is lacking.
Randy I'm not goin against your experience in anyway. If I cut for a living maybe I could file like you. But it's only part time thing for me so skip works for me

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok this is where my thinking has taken me (scary I know) but if you are running skip vs full in my theory wouldn't you be filing more often so in theory you will spend the same amount of time filing for the overall span of a work day?

Let's hear it...

In the word's of my old friend Spock, "Your logic is sound."

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll run full comp up to 32" but even then you can tell that sometimes the chain is getting plugged with chips in a full cut.

As for chains getting dull, as it was mentioned before cutting the log or recutting chips is pretty much the same as far as wear on the chain. Plus, it seems when you hit a rock, dirt or anything other than clean wood it seems to contact all the cutters.

I really like 1/2 skip but it is hard to find and choices are limited. Therefor I usually just recommend skip. Ironically around here you ask for skip chain at the Stihl dealer and they say they've never heard of "skid" chain.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
One third less cutters so your logic seems right. But I honestly don't notice skip getting dull any faster than full comp.
Hitting dirt, metal, sand, etc. will either mess up a few cutters with skip, or a bunch with full comp. Over 28" I run skip, otherwise it's full comp.

Cobby08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting to say the least, I carry a roll of the full skip but it's not a huge demand here. 99% of saws (including myself) are sporting 20" bars. I run the full comp on PHIHL which is a 28" on a MMWS 440 then it's right up the the 41 on the 880. I did go full comp on that which was a bad ideal, as that needs skip for sure just a minor brain fart.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting to say the least, I carry a roll of the full skip but it's not a huge demand here. 99% of saws (including myself) are sporting 20" bars. I run the full comp on PHIHL which is a 28" on a MMWS 440 then it's right up the the 41 on the 880. I did go full comp on that which was a bad ideal, as that needs skip for sure just a minor brain fart.
So Phihl is still running good i take it ?