Skip vs Full comp vs semi chisel

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey anybody else besides me. Notice new chain anymore brand new, seems like you need to give the takers a swipe, to get the cutting speed? I've been running the 75cj I forget rest of numbers. Oregon full skip chisel. Even notice on some new Stihl loops too.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey anybody else besides me. Notice new chain anymore brand new, seems like you need to give the takers a swipe, to get the cutting speed? I've been running the 75cj I forget rest of numbers. Oregon full skip chisel. Even notice on some new Stihl loops too.

I just had a loop of lpx like that last week.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. I can put a new chain on, file it my way, or at least a swipe on takers. And the speed is a significant difference. I don't look forward to new chains anymore. I prefer my old worn back cutters, and groomed takers. Haven't found a chain out of the box, that will out cut my filed ones and it Shouldn't be that way.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All new chain is slower than filed. They produce middle of the road angles and let it go.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Haven't found a chain out of the box, that will out cut my filed ones and it Shouldn't be that way.

All new chain is slower than filed. They produce middle of the road angles and let it go.

I agree with this but did see a Round PS3 that was new off the reel when it first come out faster then alot of square and round filed.

That loop was special.

You know what I am talking about Mike. ;)

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the hard wood here skip is ruff and doesn't bore as good as full comp.

Bore trees all day with skip and you'll get tired of buying chain adjusters.
Less aggressive cutter angles and taller rakes the saw wont be so ruff boring . I have never lost a chain adjuster ,but i cut punky balsa wood too .

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the results for the 60cc friendly chain thing still around ? I remember off the roll something kicking some butt .that test opened my eyes to not make the chain too aggressive .
Somewhere on FHC. I think me and Matt were the only 2 to beat new chain. Everyone else was too aggressive and pulled it out of the powerband

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Less aggressive cutter angles and taller rakes the saw wont be so ruff boring . I have never lost a chain adjuster ,but i cut punky balsa wood too .
New skip is ruffer than full comp.
In soft wood I can bore with a race chain but in white oak or hickory your chain makes all the difference.
Even bucking full comp is smoother.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is why i keep preaching to slow the chains down for work .I learned a lot from that thread .
My work chains are more aggressive than most race chains. I sent a work chain to that. It was even stihl

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't laugh....Times change and with it so do ideas, but the old timers were onto something....

I ended up with a bunch of old chipper chain and have ran it in dirty wood and nothing holds an edge as well in dirty wood.
Wish I had a reel of chipper. Good stuff especially on older saws.