Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna count cutters.

I always thought full skip was 1/2 the teeth and semi-skip was 2/3.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please do I have no skip of any sequence here or I would've already counted

junkman

Crush it
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please do I have no skip of any sequence here or I would've already counted
seq.jpg

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can make semi cut. It's funny people talk safety chain and full chisel... All chain can and will cut well if it can get a bite and is reasonably sharp. Not a fan of extra bumpers on my chain but I score what I can if the price is right

My local shop did not know or ever hear of RM Stihl chain...I had to bring one in to them to show them what it was.
It's all RS or green chain...fuggettabout "square" they never seen that either.
Good guys otherwise. Everything is .050 too....

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if my local dealer has 63. I do need to ask. Next month is buy 2 get 1 free chains. They carry the RSK chain along with RS3 and RM

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always run full chisel most everything is set up for it.
Monday at the united way firewood cut I learned a valuable lesson.

all of the logs were covered in sand from when they were skid out. it slows you down have to stop and sharpen all the time, the other not so great option is to dog in and give it some pressure to make it cut. Which is tiring, I really wished I had semi chisel loops.

The true measure of speed is how much wood you cut. I would probably be ahead and get more work done in that scenario with semi because of not needing to stop and sharpen the chain as often.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always run full chisel most everything is set up for it.
Monday at the united way firewood cut I learned a valuable lesson.

all of the logs were covered in sand from when they were skid out. it slows you down have to stop and sharpen all the time, the other not so great option is to dog in and give it some pressure to make it cut. Which is tiring, I really wished I had semi chisel loops.

The true measure of speed is how much wood you cut. I would probably be ahead and get more work done in that scenario with semi because of not needing to stop and sharpen the chain as often.
I have been having good luck with .404 in the dirty wood ,it seems to have a tougher edge ,conservative angles help also when sharpening ,if wood is dirty ,i bore in also and cut from the inside out with the tip end of the bar ,the clean wood seems to force the dirt away on the way out of the cut better .

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looking at Junkman's pic posted above, full skip has 60% of cutters for the same length of chain in full comp and semi-skip has 80%..

So, full skip is 40% less and semi is 20% less....unless of course my math is flawed. Ready to stand corrected if so. ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Full comp chisel all the way for me, even on my 115DL!

20" 3/8" 72DL= 36 teeth
36" 3/8" 115DL = 57 teeth

Only my 40cc's run round tooth, 14" 3/8" LowProfile 52DL= 26 teeth.

TriLink chisel loop I am using doesn't seem to mind dirt very much, but it doesn't really self feed either - weirdest chain I ever used yet!

I am craving a 72DL 3/8" FULL HOUSE loop to try on my PS-7900, I think it might utilize the power better than lowering the rackers twice the recommended value on a full comp loop.
Should also be smooth as butter with the additional cutters.
Chip clearance shouldn't be an issue with a puny 20" B&C setup.

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You forgot chipper chain, LOL!!!!
carlton_chipper.JPG

Don't laugh....Times change and with it so do ideas, but the old timers were onto something....

I ended up with a bunch of old chipper chain and have ran it in dirty wood and nothing holds an edge as well in dirty wood.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ive heard guys around here saying they use to use it but i have never seen or ran it

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the full skip for work ,clears softwood chips better ,less teef to sharpen too .
Man you said it, that's speed and savings alone, way less teeth to sharpen. That's why I run it, I'm still a hand filer. And it's what I grew up with, full skip chisel. I do agree with others in semi staying sharp in dirty wood. But he'll they all will dull. I agree Mike .404 is rugged.