Skidder issues

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well my skidder engine went a bit ago. I got a reman engine and it won't run. I have checked for air a million times, tried running it out of a 5 gallon can, replaced injectors, had the pump rebuild, replaced the lift pump, I'm not sure what else. If will fire maybe run for 30 seconds then die. Sometimes flat out die other times it will start to miss first. It seems like it's not getting enough fuel or sucking air through the head. Not sure oh and yes I have checked timing like 3 times. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well my skidder engine went a bit ago. I got a reman engine and it won't run. I have checked for air a million times, tried running it out of a 5 gallon can, replaced injectors, had the pump rebuild, replaced the lift pump, I'm not sure what else. If will fire maybe run for 30 seconds then die. Sometimes flat out die other times it will start to miss first. It seems like it's not getting enough fuel or sucking air through the head. Not sure oh and yes I have checked timing like 3 times. Any help would be greatly appreciated
No support from where you bought the engine?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What brand? I know we had a JD excavator that did something similar on the original engine. We replaced injectors, lift pump, had injection pump rebuilt. It was a bad filter base! It was the Stanadyne-style base mounted to the block. When the engine got warm, the crack spread and let air in. We found it by running a clear line from a jug to the pre-filter, clear line from pre-filter to secondary filter, and clear line from it to injection pump. As soon as it went through the second filter, we picked up air bubbles. It took a while to figure it out, and our local pump shop told us they were bad for that. Many other engines use these filter bases as well (Cummins, Iveco, Perkins, Kubota). I will try to find a pic of one. Here is a link to what many of them look like. http://www.stanadyne.com/docs/pubf/99920B without pricing March 2014.pdf

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have ran fuel directly to the injection pump from a bucket of fuel and it still won't run

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you getting air in your fuel lines when you prime the engine up? I've seen that on equipment. Is it a manual pump you have to prime or electronic pump that primes the engine?

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
John Deere no air getting in

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As bad as it sounds. Really sounds like the injection pump isn't doing what it belongs to do. Compression and fuel is really all you need. I just don't know what else it could be. I read you had it rebuilt. Still sounds like injection pump to me. If you're not getting air to the injectors.

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check your return flow from the injection pump. If flow is restricted, it will act as it is starving for fuel, stall, restart it and it will stall... I have seen it many times. The best way I can describe what's happening is, the injection pump fuel cavity within the injection pump will actually over pressurized and it prevents the fuel plungers from retracting and injecting fuel.
I have seen the fuel supply and return lines hooked up backwards cause weird stuff too. It is surprising how well some can run.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could a plastic plug still be in a line somewhere? I've seen them get left in accidentally and when the fitting is tighten down it cuts it slightly and only some fluid gets through but not full flow. My brother did it on a hydraulic line before.

IMG_7098.JPG

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you say you check the timing I assume you mean checking the timing of the injection pump?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What engine? How old is the machine? I know Deere started using the electronic Stanadyne pumps in a lot of their machines. My father in law had a 410SG that I thought the pump was bad on, had it checked/repaired. Reinstalled and it still didn't run right. Missed a lot once warm. Wound up being the ECM!!! Does it have the Stanadyne rotary pump?

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes that is the pump it has. The old engine had a mechanical roosa master pump. I'm not sure if that matters or not?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New engine has a mechanical pump though, correct? No wires coming out of it. I would take the pump to another pump shop. Sounds like pump. The big question is "Do you trust your pump shop?" I went through a couple before I found one that would tell us straight. They now get my personal business, my FILs business and all the agency tractors and heavy equipment we repair. Some shops will screw you!

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pulled a stanadyne injection pump off of a Deere dozer last year.

It's very easy to mix up the timing as there is no keyway in the dozer.

So I got the timing pin kit and locked the pump and flywheel.

The pump was removed first before I got the timing kit.

But by remembering where the pump slot was I was able to figure easily which way to spin the crank to get back into time.

The timing can easily be off by 180 degrees even if the pin kit is used after the pump is pulled.

Another way to verify is to make sure both intake and exhaust valves are closed for compression stroke then put the pin in for flywheel lock.

I'm told if the timing is off a bit, it screws the computer's thinking up.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a power wire for the solenoid and yes it's a very reputable shop that did the pump.
Timing is good mine has a pin that locks the flywheel and I checked the valves on 1 were closed

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a power wire for the solenoid and yes it's a very reputable shop that did the pump.
Timing is good mine has a pin that locks the flywheel and I checked the valves on 1 were closed
If it has started and run for 30 seconds , timing is not the issue. Provided, you didn't supply an alternate fuel source(ether, brake cleaner, carb cleaner...).